Lake Havasu and The Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Went to McDonalds for breakfast and then drove to Lake Havasu which was only a slight detour and as London Bridge was there we thought we would go and see it. It was a beautiful area, lovely blue lake, palm trees and golden sand...you get the picture. Walked along the edge of the lake to the bridge and back again and then spent an hour cooling off in the lake as the temperature was 44oC. Drove to the Grand Canyon, determined to make it before sunset. Was a lovely drive, the scenery was very different, it was quite green everywhere and we later found out that they had been having monsoons for the last month which was quite unusual. On our drive up to the canyon it was very flat which was strange as in our minds we had imagined mountains. Stopped just before the National park and went into Wendy’s for our dinner as we wanted to get it over and done with so we could get to the canyon. To get into the Grand Canyon National park we had to pay $25. Went straight to the first lookout point and met Steve’s chemistry teacher in the car park! He won the $10 for seeing someone he knew. They had been to a wedding in Las Vegas. Our first view of the canyon was overwhelming. It actually made me cry, i just so couldn’t believe that i was there. I am crying again writing this because it was just so fantastic. Took hundreds of photos - thank goodness for digital cameras. For everyone who has been you know what i am on about, for those of you who haven’t - well you just have to. It was very scary near the edge as you just go straight down into the abyss and there is nothing to protect you. I kept getting collywobbles when the boys went further out. Walked up to Yavapi point to catch the sunset. It was fantastic the way the light caught some of the rocks. I have some great pictures. Vowed to get up for the sunrise in the morning. The last time Andy and I did that was at Massada in Israel, the lowest point on earth so we felt the Grand Canyon warranted another early rise. Drove to our hotel which was in Grand Canyon village, Yavapi Lodge. From the outside the lodge looked like a cell but inside was magnificent and one of our favourite rooms. For some reason we had been booked into two rooms so the boys had a room to themselves with a queen bed each and their own TV. There was an interconnecting door between the rooms.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb