New Mexico to Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Holbrook
July 13th 2010
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

July 13, 2010
Left Albuq. At about 8:30 this morning . Stopped at Rio Puerco Bridge which was on original 66.
We crossed Pueblo Land where we encountered Owl Rock and Dead Man’s Curve. Then on to Budville which has the Budville Trading Post and the Villa de Cubera Trading Post where Hemmingway wrote part of “The Old Man and the Sea”. San Fidel had St. Joseph’s Chapel. As we crossed the Acoma Reservation we were not allowed to take pictures, so nothing to report. We were also told “DO NOT TRESPASS”
Grants, NM has a lot of old Neon and Prewett is pretty much just a sign and the building that is home to the Swap Meet 66. Then 66 began to parallel a long row of pink-tinged cliffs and hills on the way to Lupton, AZ
We came to the Continental Divide and the end of old 66 for a while because it is dirt and not passable. Back on I-40 for a little bit. Finally, into Gallup, NM with it’s Giant Cowboy at John’s Used Cars. Lots more neon as well. We had lunch at Jerry’s Café. We thought since people were hanging out the door to get in the food must be good. It was. In Gallup everywhere you look there is a Trading Post, Trading Co., or Trading something or other selling Indian wares. I almost broke my vow and bought some silver and Turquoise earrings. But, I pulled myself together and the feeling passed. For now.
Finally, into Arizona. We decided to take a side trip to the Petrified Forest National Park. Our first National Park. We got our Lifetime Senior Pass. Since there is no camping in the park for vehicles, we drove into Holbrook and checked into a RV park for the night.
The National Forest was fabulous, beautiful. It is wonderful that we have such beauty set aside for our pleasure. Can’t wait to get to the Grand Canyon in a few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th July 2010

Jewelry
Buy some turquoise already!!! That's silly. You'll wear the earrings, and they're small. If you can't buy them for yourself, you can buy them for your daughters. :)
14th July 2010

Trip
Am enjoying all your post. Andrea, how is you face? Did you see a doctor? You guys are having a great retirement!!!!!!!! Keep moving, it keeps you young. Jerri
14th July 2010

Grand Canyon
Have driven past the Grand Canyon about seven times, always with a man who was in a hurry, so have never seen it. Lately, I've heard several people say "What's the fuss about? It's just a big whole in the ground." Is this a line from a recent movie or something? I'm still hoping to see it some day. Continued pleasure on your idyll!
15th July 2010

Don't like turquoise...but I do like silver (hint, hint)!
16th July 2010

Shipshewana
Just got back from Shipshewana, Ind. They had turquoise on sale for $5... what ever you wanted. Should have bought the girls some there from you... haha... they never would have known. I can never go to Az. without buying their jewelery. I love it! But seldom wear it when I get home.. whats up with that?

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb