4/13/2012 - Williams, AZ & Grand Canyon, AZ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
April 13th 2012
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

4/13/2012 -Lows in the 30s and very windy.



On the way in we stopped at the National Geographic Show/Shop for a look. Spoke with a Ranger and got his view of the best view points and a map for all.

Drove on into the Visitor Center, watched a short movie on the Canyon; then took the free shuttles to the view points. The routes are Blue, Orange, and Red.



Orange Route - Mather Point, Yavapai Point & Geology Museum, and Yaki Point.

Blue Route - Maswik Lodge and the transfer point to the Red Route. The blue route is the Grand Canyon Village, Lodges, and Shops. We stopped at the Maswik Lodge to eat, at the suggestion of the Ranger mentioned earlier; very good food and prices were reasonable.

Red Route - The Abyss, then we hiked .9 miles to Monument Creek along the Rim Trail. This trail is absolutely awesome and dangerous. I cannot believe they would allow public access to this trail. No protective rails along the way and the cliff edge was 2 feet or less at places from center of the trail. I always stayed on the left side of the trail :-). We then re-boarded the shuttle for a ride to Hermit Point then back to the Blue Route.

Blue Route back to the Visitor Center for the beginning of the ride back to Williams. On the way to the National Geographic IMAX Theater we saw quite a few elk. Pics are not real good, but included anyway. Watched a movie of about 45 minutes there, it was awesome. Did the IMAX last as the weather was snowing occassionally and was fearful that they may close some of the routes in the Park.

Once back to the RVs, no one was hungry after the meal at the Maswik Lodge so we each had snacks, ours was ICE CREAM.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb