Day 70: Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning when we woke up it was beautiful day, so we decided to head off on a hike before it got too hot. We decided to do the Bright Angel Trail which was behind our lodge, because it had water stations along the way! We headed down to the 1.5 mile mark, taking lots of photos on the way. The photos don't really do it justice, it is the most mind blowing place. It is so so massive, thats the best way I can think of to describe it. We got to 1.5 miles and had a bit of a break, then continued down a bit further. Rach (sensibly) decided to start back up and I continued on to the 3 mile mark. To get to the bottom it is 9 miles, and we passed some people who had stayed down there the night and were heading back up. Some had started hiking back up at 3am to avoid the heat! I had a rest at the 3 mile mark and then started back up. It was so hot coming back up, by this stage it was about 11.30am and the sun was out fully. Because you are walking in the canyon its like being in a bowl and there's no wind flow or anything to cool you down. We both took alot of rests on the way back up.
After we got back to the top we had a bit of a rest and then walked to the grocery store to buy lunch. On the way we passed these huge deer, they looked almost like reindeer, just chilling on the side of the road. Just as we were finishing lunch the daily thunderstorm set in so we caught a shuttle bus back to the lodge and hung out there for the rest of the day. We had dinner at one of the other lodges and then fell into bed so tired from our hike!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th July 2011

What amazing memories you are both making for yourselves! Fab photos!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb