Grand Canyon National Park


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The best camping trip ever!





Mark and I spent Memorial Day weekend together at the Grand Canyon. It was a weekend of firsts - my first time to that national park, Mark's first camping trip (as an adult), and our first camping trip together. We left Las Vegas early on Saturday morning to beat the rush into the park. Check in at our campsite was a breeze and it was a happy surprise that my camping partner was a natural at setting up the site. He also proved to be an expert campfire maker. After a bit of lunch we took off for the canyon rim. The park's shuttle bus system works so efficiently, we explored the entire east side of the park that afternoon. My first view of the canyon was at Mather Point. Even though it was a little hazy, the view was spectacular. It was like standing on the edge of the world. That evening we roasted hot dogs over the fire and s'mores. Throughout the night, the happy silence was broken by the "woosh! woosh! woosh!" of the giant ravens' wings. Those things are beasts!



Day two began with a leisurely morning around the campfire. Then we toured the west side of the park. There was a huge line for the shuttle, so we just walked the three-quarters mile to the next bus stop. The weather was still cool enough to make the hike along the canyon rim enjoyable. Then we hopped to various vistas by bus. By the time we were on our way back to camp, the tourist traffic had increased dramatically, validating our earlier start. At camp we napped, played cards, ate delicious pasta salad, and Mark even tried to teach me to throw a frisbee. Dinner and dessert were repeated from the night before, with the addition of campfire popcorn.



The morning of our last day, we got up painfully early to watch the sun rise over the north rim of the canyon. The whole event took about an hour, but it was a fantastic view. Returning to camp, we slowly but efficiently packed up the site and headed back to Las Vegas. Everything was perfect, and I can't wait to do it again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

My first views of the canyon!
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

My handsome date
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

Critter!
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

I'm the king of the world!
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

We had spot #302 and it was great!
Grand CanyonGrand Canyon
Grand Canyon

Our fantastic camp site.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb