Grand Canyon - Sep 18 & 19


Advertisement
Published: October 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Grand Canyon was a disappointment when we were last there in 2008. The same time of year – mid September – but that time the weather was cruel – big wind and cold. So we had to come back for a second chance to enjoy the vistas, rocks and photo sunsets. This time the weather was perfect and we were rewarded with several rim hikes and a 300 metre descent into the canyon along the South Kaibab trail.

We started with Shoshone Point - a trail head with a locked gate but Kayla had beta that said it is open to walk-ins. So a mile walk gave an amazing view of the canyon all by ourselves. Then we joined the other tourists for a two mile walk along the busy rim trail. Along this trail there were rock boulders displayed from all the formations in the canyon and many vistas for us to admire.

The visitor books say that a rim hike is great but a descent into the canyon gets you up and personal with the rocks. Leaving the trail head at 10 AM we descended in shade and cool breezes along with hundreds of other hikers. By noon we were at Cedar Ridge only 20% of the way down to the Colorado River but a great stopping spot for lunch including a dry toilet and vistas down and across the canyon. It was a slow but steady climb back out in direct sunlight, but we had enough water and stopped often for photos and examination of rocks. Richard explained a sandstone formation to a couple we met on the trail only to find out he was a geology PhD student. He was kind enough not to correct me for my amateur interpretation.

Free shuttle buses take you from a central parking lot to all rim vista locations. Late the second day we went towards Hermit's Rest by shuttle bus and stopped at Pima Point for the dying sun rays on the red rock cliffs, joining many other photographers with big camera gear. Kayla ranked these two days as a 11 out of 10 for photography and Richard got to descend into the canyon. Great time for both of us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb