Grand Canyon Arizona


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I will never forget my first view of Grand Canyon. It is so big!! There are Red to pink to grey walls that are all in perfect layers. You can not describe or photograph it. You have to experience it first hand. Two billion years of rocks set in perfect order, newest 250 million on the rim to nearly 2 billion in the bottom of the canyon boggles the mind.

Thursday night we arrived late and we set up camp it was dark. Mather Campground was a little crowded but our spot was all by it self in a pine forest (perfect). On Friday, Debi and I descended into the canyon at South Kaibab trailhead. We descended 1000 ft in 1.5 miles (and then climbed up). The canyon is almost vertical in spots so the trails are very steep. It is worth the climb to get next to the rocks and look back up to the rim. Only 5 % of people go below the rim. In the afternoon we rode our bikes to Powel Point. We arrived at about six and positioned ourselves on top of a vertical face the jutted out into the canyon. We had views of the setting sun on left and the ever changing shadows and colors to our right. Just before sunset 4 California Condors (9 feet wing span) flew toward us until they were in the canyon just below us (Bonnie I wish you could of seen them). The whole experience was so peaceful yet powerful. We had another dinner by lantern.

On Saturday we got up early and decided to try to go down further in the canyon having survived 1000 vertical feet the day before. We used a very popular but spectacular trail called Bright Angel. The canyon draws you into it because it is so easy walking down and with every switchback there is something new to see. We went down 2000 vertical feet in about 3 miles. We had our eye on the canyon bottom and it seemed so close but luckily reason prevailed because the bottom was another 3000 feet and 5 miles away. We walked up in a little more than two hours. The only direction is up. It was strenuous and both of us were a little tired but also exhilarated. We found coin operated showers (we need it). In the afternoon we walked along the rim and had our first dinner in a while with enough light still in the West. We went to bed early to get an early start on the Sandstones of Vermillion Cliffs and Zion.

On Sunday we headed to Vermillion Cliffs. This National Monument is along 89A. It has great views of the Colorado River and Paria River before they enter the Grand Canyon. The Paria River transects the sandstone formations that hover above the river 2000 ft. Debi and I took a walk along the Colorado River.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb