GC - Day 1


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Flat Aird PlainFlat Aird PlainFlat Aird Plain

The flow of the Colorado cuts through this plain before creating the canyon
GC - NR Day 1

Our drive took us through the heart of Navajo Land - Kayenta and Tuba City. Northern AZ although desolate appearing has been a center of controversy as big biz is interested in the land because of mineral discoveries. The Navajo nation has allowed some access, but not nearly enough to satisfy the “greed merchants” (sorry greed merchants). The drive up the Kaibab plateau showed the vast difference between the 2 eco-zones that led to the creation of the Grand Canyon. A flat arid plain that seemed open to the eroding effects of any flow of water and the Kaibab plateau rising more than 5K feet above the plain.

We got there about 4:30 MST as we change time zones gaining an hour, of course the sun did not realize AZ “don't do no stinking daylight time”. The campground was great with most all essential services available including wireless Internet connection at the general store, showers and laundry. We settle in for our 3 night stay and rested up from the drive. Tomorrow would be canyon viewing from around the lodge.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb