Brokeback Mountain - What a load of Bull!!


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Top of Lone MountainTop of Lone MountainTop of Lone Mountain

View from Lone Mountain peak
Nige, Andy & Keith were up at the crack of dawn to hike 'Lone Mountain' a couple of miles from Keith & Sylvia's. Myself & Liz cooked perfect poached eggs on toast - Definitely going to get us one of those gadgets!

We then thought we would take the Mustang for a spin as Liz wanted to drive it, so we wrote a note to leave for when they returned, and were about to leave as they came back, totally sweaty! We continued on our expedition, put the roof down and drove around the estate, then stumbled across the entrance to Lone Mountain - So Liz thought it would be funny if we attempted to hike it!! Off we went in the heat, with only murray mints and a pack of fags as our supplies! And in flip flops! We got about a sixth of the way up to a point called the dancing cactus, we was knackered, felt slightly lost so turned back!

It was then back for more sunbathing and swimming.

We headed out to a local Mexican for a bite to eat, but as it was Mexican day it was quite busy, so we only
Horny toadHorny toadHorny toad

Yes - that is its actual name. Seen on Nige, Andy & Keiths hiking trip this morning.
ended up having a few drinks! It was then on to cave creek, a real typical cowboy town, with rodeo's and real time cowboys. We passed through the main entrance and Nige, Keith and Andy grabbed a beer. However they had to go to the bar for 2 white zinfandels, they requested the drinks and the barman asked if they wanted any beers - A straight no, was the reply! They very delicately carried the wine over to us - you can imagine how this looked in this sort of place!

Sylvia then suggested as being from Engalnd that it would be a good idea to ask if they could sit on a bull before the rodeo began, so again off they went and enquired, being told that this was indeed possible! So the lovely 'Sindy' who owned the bull they would be sitting on - 'Dirty Bird!!!' duly obliged in taking photo's and making this possible! For about 20 seconds they each felt a real sense of cowboy life.

It was then back to the table for food, and then back to the bar for more wine!! Now this was when they really got questioned, the whole place literally stood back and watched and had this great photo opportunity with these guys from England in 'Capris' (shorts) and flip flops asking for white zinfandel!! A great Brokeback Mountain moment!! The whole place was really friendly and welcoming especially to the likes of Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall AKA Nige and Andy.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The Dancing CactusThe Dancing Cactus
The Dancing Cactus

A sixth of the way up Lone Mountain
Me & Liz Me & Liz
Me & Liz

At the base of Lone Mountain
BlessBless
Bless

Alittle drowned mouse a the bottom of the pool - It actually looked like it was praying.
Bull BargainingBull Bargaining
Bull Bargaining

Nige and Andy cutting a deal to sit on the bull
AndyAndy
Andy

On 'Dirty Bird'
NigeNige
Nige

On 'Dirty Bird'
Some of the BullsSome of the Bulls
Some of the Bulls

One of Andy or Nige falling!!!
The BullsThe Bulls
The Bulls

The white one at the front is 'Dirty Bird'
SindySindy
Sindy

Owner of 'Dirty Bird' and just look how they (or Nige) are holding those wine glasses!


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb