Seward to Wasilla, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wasilla
August 16th 2007
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Misty MountainsMisty MountainsMisty Mountains

It was cloudy when we left Seward. As we traveled north mist shrouded the mountains.
Thursday August 16, 2007 We left Seward this morning with Wasilla as our destination. It was a cloudy day with a little rain. The trip north was pretty with mist shrouding the mountains and the clouds breaking every once in awhile and showing blue sky. We stopped at Portage Valley Visitor Center which is about 45 minutes from Anchorage. The valley has multiple glaciers. We saw several near the center. Alaska has a lot of glaciers!
Closer to Anchorage there’s a wetlands area that attracts birds and we stopped to see if any birds were around. We didn’t see birds or ducks, but did see some salmon. They are beginning to die now, the term the locals use is “spawned out”.
At Wasilla I shopped and Frank got a haircut. We have reservations for Denali on August 21 and will be there 5 days. We are taking the scenic route there (another remote gravel road) and we wanted to stock up. After Denali we’re heading to Fairbanks. We hope to see the northern lights.
Tonight we splurged and had pizza - it hit the spot!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Portage GlacierPortage Glacier
Portage Glacier

We stopped at another glacier on the way.
Potter's MarshPotter's Marsh
Potter's Marsh

There weren't any birds, but I liked the colors of the marsh grass.
Salmon that has reached the endSalmon that has reached the end
Salmon that has reached the end

After salmon have spawned they die. This one has reached the end. The carcasses fertilize the stream and feed wildlife


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb