VALDEZ, PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 20th 2011
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 20, 2011 VALDEZ, AK
OH MY WORD WHAT AN AWESOME DAY!! Today we woke to clear blue skies and sunshine, a PERFECT day for the 9 hour boat cruise of the majestic waters of Prince William Sound to visit both the Columbia and Meares Glaciers and view lots of the wildlife on the way. We boarded our cruise ship at 9:30 a.m., just a short walk from our RV campground. The trip included lunch and a soup snack later in the afternoon. Once again the vastness of this country and its majestic beauty just left us speechless. Even the camera could not do it justice, but we tried so we could share this wonderful experience with you. We were not able to capture all of the wildlife we saw along the way simply because they moved too fast or because we did not have a big enough lens on the camera to zoom in!! The list of what we did see included Stellar Sea Lions, Humpback Whales, Sea Otters, Dall’s Porpoise, Harbor Seal, Horned Puffin, Bald Eagle, and Tufted Puffin. Our ship took us to within 300 yards of Meares Glacier and we saw several small calving incidents in which the face of the glacier broke off small chunks of ice into the sound. Again, these were difficult to catch in picture unless you had your camera up, on and ready for action. We hope you enjoy the pictures.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



21st July 2011
2011-07-20 - Prince William Sound - Lorraine & Dwain at Meares Glacier

The photos are awesome! Thank you, Dwain and Lorraine, you both look great! I'm enjoying your travel blog!
24th July 2011

Enjoying Your Blog.
We've enjoyed reading about your trip and only wish we had "Blog" when we did our North American trip back in 2000 - the pictures are great to see and we can picture you having an enormously good time - the pictues tell it all! We enjoyed the pictures & reading about Skagway, and yes, in the first week of September we ourselves will be a "Shipple" as we call in there on our Alaskan Cruise. Keep the photos coming!
26th July 2011

cool!
amazing photos, it must be even more amazing in person! glad you're having good weather, unlike us down here!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb