DESTRUCTION BAY, YT TO TOK, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
July 17th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 17, 2011 DESTRUCTION BAY, YT TO TOK, AK
Tok was the site of one of the largest construction camps during the building of the Alcan Highway in 1942. So much money was spent on it that it earned the nickname “Million Dollar Camp”. The actual name of the settlement was “Tokyo Camp” and the nearby river was called the Tokyo River. However, during World War II the name was shortened to “Tok” because of sentiments against the Japanese. Today we traveled over some of the roughest roads we have encountered so far on our trip. The severe winters here cause huge frost heaves in the roads and all summer road crews are working to straighten and repair the roads. We traveled many miles of loose gravel where you need to stay back from the vehicle in front to avoid rock chips in the windshield. The drive today was not particularly interesting; however, we had a very lovely campsite in Tok with tall trees throughout the campground. Tok is the “Sled Dog Capital of Alaska”, serving as a center for breeding and training. That evening we all went to Fast Eddy’s restaurant right next to the campground to enjoy a delicious dinner. They had a wonderful salad bar and we could choose from steak, baby back ribs or Halibut. These social times together are becoming more enjoyable as we get to know each other better. Reminds me of the Pot-luck dinners at Thom Creek Ranch!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0981s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb