Seward Adventures


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
September 6th 2012
Published: September 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was a dog gone day today..gone by the way of iditarod sled. We headed out to seavey's dog sledding business to take a ride thru the woods on a wheeled summer sled and meet some pups. The seavey's have owned their business for many years and have 3 generations of iditarod racers. The race begins in anchorage and ends in nome Alaska, 1049 miles.

We met the dogs before they took us out and the dogs were crazy excited to be selected to take us. The seavey's have 120 dogs they have trained and the dogs sell for a couple thousand. They have barrels that keep them off of ground and out of wind but can still be close enough to sniff each other. They burn so many calories a day and are so strong that they are fed special dog food with meat and water mixed in like a stew. We started with 14 dogs but they were so hyped up we had to put a few back and run with 10. The dogs are exercised and trained each day for the iditarod race. Our guide, Mark Walker will be running the 2014 race along with a Seaver son. For race practice, Mark hooks up the 5000 lb dodge ram truck to the dogs and they pull a total of 76 hours at 10 mph. The dogs are always number 1 in a race with many breaks and wear protective foot wear and weather gear. It was a neat ride.

We returned to town and our driver Joe was telling us about things we could do the next time we come and have more time. He also has a cabin he built and rents. We look forward to checking that out...

Had a quick lunch of blackened salmon ceasar salad and tomatoe soup and seafood chowder. The beer of choice was kenai brown nut ale and Alaskan amber. Walked about 1.5 miles up hill back to hotel along resurrection bay. It was a beautiful walk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



13th September 2012

You better bring me something back from your trip or I'm using these photos to show Millie as blackmail. LOL Those puppies look adorable! You could always put one in your pocket for me in place of the baby deer pet that dad never brought home from his hunting trips haha.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb