Seward


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
July 27th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, today we drove to Seward. We stopped at a ranger information center and found out about a side road that went farther into the wilds and might have a better chance of wildlife. At the beginning of the Skilak Road, we dropped off the trailer because it was a dirt road and full of potholes. It was a beautiful drive, mostly in the rain, with lovely lakes and some overlooks, when we could see them. Nancy identified some new wildflowers and a Pacific loon. Alas, no large animals. (We’re not complaining.) We hooked up the trailer and went on. The drive was beautiful and Seward is another lovely town on a bay surrounded by high snowy mountains like Whittier and Homer. Our campground was a little ways out of town, so we set up, unhooked, and drove into town to look around. We saw more RVs here in one place than in any other town on the whole trip so far. We got a quick truck wash because of the muddy road earlier. We walked out by the docks to watch people filet their catch at the public fish-cleaning place. There were salmon, halibut, rockfish, and lingcod. Some of the people were very skilled and practiced, probably the guides. Others were tentative and slow. There were two rows of about six filet tables facing each other, with a big space in the middle. As the fish were cleaned, the guts and heads, etc. were tossed down into the middle down to the water into a large wooden barge. Periodically, they hauled the barge out to the middle of the bay and dumped it. Carcasses never washed up on shore, they said, so some critters were enjoying the free lunch. We decided to have a seafood dinner at a restaurant overlooking the water. We put our names in, but had to wait for a table by the window. In the meantime, we walked Daisy down on the docks to look at the boats, which we like to do. Not too long after we got there, a dog jumped off the back of one of the boats and ran up to Daisy. She seemed friendly enough and her owner was right after her. The dog got leashed and THEN snarled and lunged at Daisy. The owner pulled her off and Daisy was fine. She said the dog was a basinji (sp?) which were wild dogs from Africa, so they were unpredictable. Well! We put Daisy in the truck and enjoyed a huge dinner. Nancy had halibut and rockcod fish and chips. Rich had Alaska king crab legs. We were able to enjoy a view of the marina while we ate and a friendly sea otter entertained us for awhile. On the way back, we had to stop and see Exit Glacier. It's another glacier you can walk up to.
Seward was a lovely stop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



12th August 2010

I heard dogs are much more aggressive when they are on a leash.
15th August 2010

salivating
I have ribs cooking but I'm salivating about all that fresh fish you are enjoying! Yummy!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb