MOOSE, FOXES, RAINBOWS, AND GLACIERS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Mat-Su Valley
August 31st 2010
Published: August 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

AUGUST 30 - MONDAY

… what a full day … marilyn spotted three moose … two beautiful red foxes tried to cross the road in front of us, turned back and climbed the bank and sat there expecting us to take their pictures … sorry no pictures from me tonight … just too tired … oh yes, and we saw the most dramatic rainbows … one after the other as there were rain showers then sunlight and back to rain showers …

… marilyn and i traveled up the matanuska valley and stopped at the matanuska glacier - a 24 mile long glacier flowing at the rate of one foot a day down the valley … the glacier starts high up in a ice field, tumbles down into a valley and then pushes itself down the valley … at the terminus, the glacieris 4 miles wide … we took a mile long hike to get out on the glacier … the path is well marked and is safe … we were able to walk up to where the blue ice began … a great hike … it was rainy and it didn’t matter a bit … fantastic is fantastic rain or shine …

… one last thing … we are staying at the northern nights campground and r.v. park in in glennallen … the campground is well maintained and the restrooms are sparkling new as are the showers … darlene is the owner-manager and is most helpful … we both highly recommend this campground … it’s about halfway between anchorage and tok … 30 dollars a night and well worth it …

-iamverytiredtonightandwillsignoffwithoutphotosrichard


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb