Cruise - third stop - Icy Strait Point


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Inside Passage
September 10th 2012
Published: September 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Icy Strait Point

Icy Strait Point is close to Hoonah, where one can find the the largest native Tlingit Indian settlement in Alaska. There is a historic (mid 1900s) salmon cannery which is now a museum and……………………………not much else!!! Oh I forgot, “the world’s largest zip-rider” is here too! It’s 1,63km long, a 397m vertical drop and reaching up to 97kmph and 92m above the ground! It seemed like fun but looking up at the drop point seemed too scary for me!

So what else was there to do…a whale and marine mammals cruise, Spasski River Valley walk and Bear search…I think we will pass on that, especially after a man was just killed by a bear in Dinali!

Only about 260 people live here.. so if you want to live in a little place where there is nothing to do and where bears outnumber the amount of people then this is the place for you!

Entertainment in the theatre was “Bande Artistique”, Emile and Marie-Claude combined their talents in a variety show that left you guessing where they were going next. It’s not really a show that one can describe…had to be there…


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb