SEWARD AND HOMER


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
July 19th 2013
Published: July 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in Seward we spent at the Ocean Sea Life Museum, and walked the bike path along the ocean.

Homer is a small fascinating place, mostly known for its fishing charters, restaurants, and artists shops and galleries on "the Spit," a long narrow piece of land jutting out into the Katchemak Bay and Gulf of Alaska. We have explored both in trucks and on foot. Ron and Joe were to go halibut fishing this morning, but were cancelled due to 25 knots of wind and 7' waves. Carolyn joined Joe and Cindy at the Pratt Museum, then finding art and lunch in "old town" Homer, down by Bishop Beach. At the Museum, we met a guide who was from Portland, Maine, and had gone to college at Bowden. He then said that now he winters at an RV park in Tucson! At a little cafe, we ran into a couple and their children who we had gotten to know at campgrounds in Dawson Creek and Ft. Nelson, British Columbia. They've been on the road for 18 months, and are home-schooling their two boys, Henry and Will. Tonight, we had supper in the RV of Bill and Gail DelFosse, who we met three years ago in Nova Scotia. Small world out here in RV-land!

Tomorrow is Farmer's Market, and Street Fair, and as much walking and looking at the ocean as I can fit in. We had a great view of the ocean right from our RV door for a few hours after we pulled in; then a HUGE Class A (bus) rig pulled in, and took the view. But really nice people. Now we have to step about three steps away from the RV to see the ocean. Can't complain!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb