Seward Highway~Anchorage to Girdwood


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Girdwood
June 27th 2011
Published: June 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Seward Highway is a highway in Alaska that extends 127 miles from Seward to Anchorage. It is a National Forest Scenic Byway and one of the 15 roads in the U.S. that has been designated as an "All-American Road." The 45 minute drive from Anchorage to Girdwood along the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet is one of the world's greatest drives.

From beginning to end there are dramatic views of mountain scenery and the inlet. There are several turnoffs along the way where waterfalls seem to just appear from the mountainside. Beluga Point offers dramatic views of the inlet and even some beluga whale sightings at times.

The highway passes Indian Creek where there is a waterfall (see the pictures) and a steep hike up the side of the mountain, during which you are walking through a semi-rainforest. It is green, lush and full of nature's songs.

You can even catch a glimpse of Portage Glacier in the mountains at the far end of the Inlet. We made it as far as the quaint mountain town of Girdwood, which is the home of the only ski resort in all of Alaska, the Alyeska Resort.

We took the Alyeska Tram, which climbs 2,000 feet in a total of four minutes, and offers a stunning panoramic view of Turnagain Arm, mountains, streams, spruce and distant glaciers. We wanted to go further along the Seward Highway but decided to save it for another day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb