July 11--Fairbanks to Moon Lake


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
July 17th 2011
Published: July 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 11, 2011 Wal-Mart parking lot, Fairbanks Starting mileage for today is 11484 on a sunny morning at 66 degrees. Got started at 9:30.



Drove back across the expressway to the McDonald’s to finish posting the blog. Once that was completed, we drove the 11 miles down the Richardson Highway to the North Pole. Thought from the ads that this community was going to be a big deal and I wanted to shop a bit. Turned out to be one building with Santa inside and lots of Christmas stuff you can get in any Christmas store in the lower 48.

Heading now for Delta Junction that is the end of the Al-Can Highway. Several weeks ago, we had turned off at Tok and headed south toward Anchorage before completing this piece of highway.

When we reached Delta Junction, we stopped to take pictures of the ending marker at a total of 1422 miles and got certificates at the Visitor’s Center for completing the whole highway.

Drove along the very full, braided Tanana River with the Alaska Range in the background. Crossed several other braided rivers as we drove along through interesting mountains and forests. Had set out to stop for the night earlier, ,but the drive was pleasant and the road good so continued driving until we were about 12 miles north of the town of Tok.

Pulled into Moon Lake Campground for the night and paid our $12 fee. We were able to put Rosie’s nose just about 3 feet from the lake’s edge. Sat and watched a number of ducks and birds before dinner. The common golden eyes ducks used the stumps and tops of broken trees to sit on. Valerie was able to get good pics as they sat still for a change. Had hoped to see loons here, but didn’t. Several float planes took off from this lake, buzzing right by Rosie’s side.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb