North to Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
July 21st 2014
Published: July 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Alaskan wildflowersAlaskan wildflowersAlaskan wildflowers

Laura, what are these
North to Alaska



Flying into the four hour endless sunset is weird and we arrive at dusk in Anchorage at 12:45 am. It is chilly waiting for the hotel shuttle, sort of like an October evening. Check in and drop off immediately.



Awake to the sound of a train whistle. We are near the station and across from the rail yard where the observation cars bed down for the night. In a couple of days we will be seated in one and off to discover southern Alaska. We enjoy breakfast and head out for a walk.



Our hotel in on Ship Creek and the salmon are running. It's about 60 degrees and cloudy but the weather is refreshing and does not discourage fishermen (and women) from wading in the chill water. The creek banks are mud and waders are a must. The water does not seem to be deep and we couldn't see any fish swimming but more than one angler caught his limit of three by 10:00.



Pike are considered an invasive species here and fishermen are encouraged to take as many as they can catch.

Ship CreekShip CreekShip Creek

Early morning fishing


It will take a bit to get the times straightened out so after exploring for a while we returned for a nap. When we woke up the sun was peeking through the clouds.



We took a convenient free shuttle downtown and walked around a bit. The flower baskets were beautiful and flower beds featured tuber begonias in yummy pastel colors. Walked through the Saturday Market. If I was a shopper and if I was adding instead of subtracting stuff there were some neat things to buy.



Walked back to the hotel and arrived at Bridge Seafood as it opened at four. We snagged a table overlooking Ship Creek and the people fishing.



King Crab is Joe's favorite feed but nothing we have ever had tasted like this, so fresh, so perfectly cooked. It is very pricey here, surprisingly so, but worth every penny. We sampled local beers and decided on Kodiak Brown as our favorite. And it goes so sell with crab.



Tomorrow, we go out looking for bear.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ship CreekShip Creek
Ship Creek

He caught his limit.
Bridge SeafoodBridge Seafood
Bridge Seafood

Note the caution.


and after.


Tot: 0.451s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb