Alaskan Cruise - Day 9


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we spent a full day in Anchorage. We ate breakfast at a great little place called The Snow City Cafe. What amazing food! After breakfast, Kay & I were off to the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum and the guys made plans for an extended bike ride. I really enjoyed the aviation museum & Kay was a good sport & didn't complain. They had a nice collection of planes & some helicopters that were part of Alaska's heritage. Lake Hood, in Anchorage, is the largest float plane base in the world.

Although we took a cab to get there, we decided to take the bus back to the hotel. We got directions to the bus stop & started on our way. I knew we faced a challenge when we got on the road outside of the museum & saw an airplane taxiing down the middle of the road. The road was shared by cars, planes & pedestrians. We followed the plane for a while because he looked like he knew where he was going. We then struck off in the direction where we thought the bus stop should be. After a LONG walk, the bus stop was nowhere in sight. I finally decide to ask directions for a couple of guys that were outside working & we were within 50 feet of the bus stop. So we went & waited. Right before the bus arrive, we got some encouragement from one of the locals that said for as long as he had worked there, he had never seen anyone at that bus stop!

We got back downtown & Kay suggested we go to the Anchorage Museum. It wasn't quite on par with the aviation museum but I kept my mouth shut. But I did enjoy it. They had a wonderful exhibit of the area through time. It was well done & very good. I particularly enjoyed the Alaskan Pipeline exhibit as it reminded me Glen Burton & Tony Mangold, friends from my MacArthur days, who were part of the many that folks that made that project a reality!

We all joined back together for a great dinner at the Snow Goose Restaurant & Sleepy Lady Brewing Co.

More tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Alaskan Aviation Heritage MuseumAlaskan Aviation Heritage Museum
Alaskan Aviation Heritage Museum

look familiar? (hint: Stinson Field is in San Antonio)


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb