Bikes!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
September 4th 2007
Published: September 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The girls took it a little easy for the morning after an action packed weekend. It’s amazing how much Gabbi and Jacqui can entertain themselves in a little apartment.
The games they come up with are incredible. They set up an obstacle course today including a station walking across the windowsill. Danielle had to break them away from their play temporarily for a little grocery shopping and then off to the planet walk. An eagle scout laid out a scale model of the solar system. The sun is downtown Anchorage and the planets are laid out along streets and bike paths to the south. It’s supposed to represent the amount of time it takes for a beam of light to get to each planet. For example, it only took 3 minutes to walk to Mercury, about the same time it takes for light to travel from the Sun to Mercury. They made it as far as Mars. Jupiter was another 30 minutes down the road (which we passed later on our bike ride). The model stretches for about 20 miles! Gives you a little perspective…

A fellow that I work with has loaned us a couple of bikes that his son has outgrown. So, Danielle and the girls picked me and the bikes up from work. After Danielle worked her charm on a neighbor for some tools and a trip to Lowe’s, we were ready for a run with the girls biking along with us. Boy can Gabbi and Jacqui really fly on bikes these days! Nothing like a sprint through town to get your heart pumping! Now we have to work on getting helmets for them. We felt a little guilty letting them ride without helmets, but we justified it by thinking that we were on a bike trail and not on a road…tomorrow’s journey will be a consignment shop to look for second hand helmets. The bike trails here are absolutely amazing here. There is such a network, you can get pretty much wherever you need to go and barely cross a street. Then we went home, had some supper and played games for the evening.


Advertisement



12th September 2007

Who needs a helmet!
Hey, we didn't use helmets when we were kids, right? And, lived to tell about it! They look like they enjoyed their helmet-less ride! See you soon!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb