Atlanta to Galveston, High Island, and Winnie, Texas April 9th-18th (Part 1)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama » Monroeville
April 24th 2012
Published: April 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Part 1: Atlanta to Rayne, LA



Starting mileage was 21749 with clear skies and temperature at 82 degrees. Valerie and I left after lunch and our last minute packing of the freezer and refrigerator food stuff in Rosie II.

We spent the first night out at the Roland Cooper State Park in Camden, Alabama having taken the back roads and avoiding the interstate some. The park was nice with wooded spots on a lake; all hook-ups for $19.45 per night. In the morning, we continued to drive through forested, hilly land toward Monroeville.

In Monroeville, we stopped to visit the old courthouse that has been turned into a nice museum in honor of both Harper Lee and Truman Capote. The courthouse was the one featured in the movie “To Kill a Mockingbird” with Gregory Peck. Apparently, both Lee and Capote were playmates and spent time together writing stories in her tree house in the summertime. According to the docents at the museum, Miss Nell (Lee) is in her mid-eighties, still reclusive, and lives in an assisted living home in town.

We continued driving south until we hit Interstate 12, and then traveled west just north of New Orleans spending the night at Fontainebleau State Park right on Lake Pontchartrain. The Park is on land that used to be an old sugar plantation built in 1829 by a French nobleman, Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville. Interesting park with ruins of the sugar mill and other structures on the grounds.

The next day, after touring the park visitor’s center filled with lots of Native artifacts, we stopped at Frog City and had a true Cajun lunch with the locals at a very nice restaurant (Chef Roy’s at Rayne, LA).


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb