Uxmal


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Uxmal
January 12th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On the 12th, we took a bus from Campeche to the Uxmal ruins, which are further up the Carribean coast near the city of Merida. It was a funny little bus, which stopped at every tiny town on the way, making a relatively short route a 4h bus ride. The road was very curvy. Some bus stops seemed to be at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, which made us nervous that we would miss our stop. The bus driver played loud Mariachi music all the way, so it was a festive ride. When we got to our stop, it was indeed just a patch of dirt at the side of the road. We then walked across and down the road a bit to the ruins, which were practically deserted except for us. Nice! The ruins were really neat, and it took us about 3h to explore them. We didn´t hire a guide, so we didn´t know much about what was going on, but we can´t afford to hire one each time we visit somewhere, so maybe next time.

We miraculously caught a bus almost as soon as we got to back to the bus stop (almost unheard of here), and listened to some techno for the ride into Merida. We walked to our hostel, checked in, and walked around a bit. Merida seems like a town in which there is a lot to do, so we will probably be here for several days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

ThroneThrone
Throne

Located in front of the Governor´s Palace - the Ruler of Uxmal would sit here and... do various things. Over 900 peices of jewelery and things were found inside.
Flat rocksFlat rocks
Flat rocks

Some walls were very flat.
Laura climbing Grand PalaceLaura climbing Grand Palace
Laura climbing Grand Palace

It was very high and steep.
Magician´s House vistaMagician´s House vista
Magician´s House vista

As seen from the top of the Grand Palace. High up!


14th January 2009

Oh man, that's awesome. When you went to the magicians house did he find peso's behind your ears?
24th January 2009

Going to mexico
Looks like you're having a pretty good time down there, the ruins are amazing! Kristin and I are going on vacation for a week starting the 31st at some place down by Cancun area...
26th January 2009

your trip
Laura - it's awesome to read about your experiences and I'm so glad it's going well for you and your friend. It's amazing that you're able to post all this info. and the pics in such seemingly low tech places! Love, A. T.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb