Merida Moments


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
November 18th 2010
Published: November 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dancin' with who brung ya!Dancin' with who brung ya!Dancin' with who brung ya!

Every Tuesday evening there is live music in Santa Lucia Plaza. Everyone is invited to get on stage and dance. This is a wonderful outdoor event for onlookers and participants alike.
The camera's ability to freeze a moment in time is sublime. One of my earliest recollections of doing art is vividly etched in memory, from kindergarten. We were enjoying our first experience with finger paints. Using the side of my palm, rather than a mere finger, I was watching, enthralled, as vegetative underwater scenes emerged and flowed with the slightest touch or whim, all in "real time video" (which of course was a phrase unknown in 1952).

But then the teacher said "OK, everybody stop where you are, and the final work will be allowed to dry before sending it home to your parents." O, NO! My art is no longer moving. But, but, but . . . . it's stiff and dead now. (It was so much more as process.) How frustrated I was with that experience. And yet I went on to spend most of my career in the still photography industry.

FAST FORWARD. So here are a few "frozen moments" in Merida. This is such a friendly, lovely city. Those who avoid visiting Yucatan due to unfavorable press accounts circulated regarding safety in Mexico should know that this state has a lower murder rate (<2/100k of
The schimee-schimee-shakes.The schimee-schimee-shakes.The schimee-schimee-shakes.

Sorry about the focus! But this little guy is so cute, I had to share his public debut, modeling his best threads.
population, per year) than the state of Montana, which is the lowest rate in all 50 states, north of the border. Strange how the press can focus such attention on the most sensational part of a story, tarring everybody with the same broad brush.

I just love the couple wearing white. They're really enjoying the evening. And everybody is enjoying the fun they are having. Would you care to dance? Come on down!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sidewalk gremlinsSidewalk gremlins
Sidewalk gremlins

The sidewalk hazards in Merida require constant attention to where you place your feet. And maybe the those gremlins have ability to make the path quiver and jive!
Home for a swimHome for a swim
Home for a swim

Mary's getting good use out of the pool where we are staying.


2nd December 2010

CORRECTION
The correct location of this event is Santiago Square, on Tuesday evenings. Sorry. ~eric.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb