Merida and Cancun!!!!!!!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
July 4th 2011
Published: July 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Howdy! Its been a while since my last entry so there is a bit to write about! So we went to Merida and checked into a nice hostle with a very nice pool where we spent most of our time. It was absolutely roasting hot for the first couple of days with temperatures hitting 37 degrees poolside so that was great but I was still horrendously white leading to the not so flattering name of moby dick, 'Call me Ishmael'. So the first day we were there we went out in the evening for some food and watched the Mexico - America final which was a great game then of out for some drinks, ended up in the only club we could find which was clearly a locals place, we were the only tourists in there, getting many stares and lots of laughs. Met some cool mexicans one of which was certainly the mexican version of Chow from the hangover and he was very funny screaming profanitites and buying us lollypops that glowed in the dark. Great lad! The next day we just took it easy next to the pool again, got some food and then I managed to delete all my photos of my camera due to the spanish anti virus software that I couldnt quite just wing my way through. The next day was of to tick of a wonder of the world and we went to Chichen Itza. It was pretty amazing, there is so much more then just the 'photo pic' tower, theres a game court and many dedications to warriers and an observatory- they reckon at its height around 50,000 people lived in the 25 square Km area which sounds pretty amazing. Still theres loads of people trying to sell you stuff inside with phrases such as 'almost free' which are always quite funny. That evening found our Aussie mate, Eamon and Hannah had yet again booked the same hostel as us so went out for some beers with them in the eveing and then the next day checked out and was of to party central- Cancun!!!

So immediately got done on the taxi fare as we stepped out of the bus station but there are millions of tourists around in Cancun, with the hotel district supporting these massive all inclusive hotels right on the beach. Our humble selves were downtown in a tiny little hostel that was so chilled out it was hard to find the motivation to do anything! One of the guys who worked there was this american called Mike who seemed quite litterally to be grennade about to go of. He'd been in the army for six years serving in tours in Afghanistan and now he is just chilling in Mexico but as hes walking around durring the day he seemed on an eternal comedown and it was like he was about to blow- but other then that he was a nice guy! So went to the beach the first day and ended up on some private beach because we went in the wrong way but it was pretty nice and we wernt discovered so spent the day there. Played Tequilla jenga in the evening, a game provided by the hostel, which was awesome but I was belching Tequilla the whole next day which was a reminder of the good times. The rooms there didnt have mattreses but just these air beds so everytime you moved it made the most noise in the world so that was pretty interesting! Anyhoo, managed to find the propper beach the next day, the waves were brilliant, knocking you all over the show, and the water is tuquoise and clear so absolutely beautifull! That night we went out on the town, all the places are all in so went to a bar then a club, its the most expenive area of Mexico but you still looking at entry and free drinks all night for about 30-40 quid so pretty good deal! Although we did get caught out as you get offerred shots from these bottles the waitresses have that they give you and then try and charge you an extra 5 quid for! We stood our ground and refused to pay which could have made the evening take a turn fir the worst but fortunately it was all gddd! The next day we had to just took it easy again and then the following day we had to change hostels as the current hostel had taken reservations on our beds! Found one litterally two minutes away. Its a good room but its got no AC so its an absolute sauna and you wake up with sweat just simply everywhere, it aint pretty. So went on another night out and in our first bar we had the choice of going to the bar to the right or the left, both were empty at this point, the guy on the right gave us a better deal so we went there and paid our all in money. litterally about 45min latter the place to out left was rammo full of young people like ourselves and the the place we were in had a couple of old people couples, it was so bad it was funny! luckily this meant the drinks came quickly and consistently. Then we noticed that the other bar were giving out ballons but our place would not be outdone, so it gave out ballons to the about 15 people that were in there and so on it went like this culminating in a congo line and tequilla poured into the mouths! Great times, then went into a club which was absoluetly massive and proceeded to dance the night away! Next day included a chill day and then last night got absolutley roasted at the beach with burns all over, great times but I did not let that stop me from going to Coco Bongo, quite possible the best club experience ever!!! From the time we went in around 11:30 there were performers going untill about 3 in the morning! These included Beetlejuice, Batman, Elvis, The mask, Maddona and many many more, it was absolutely fantastic with gas and confetti being blown in all the time!! was absolutely amazing and didnt get home untill about 5:30 am! Anway so Im about up to date now but just to make you all jealous, tomorrow we're going Whale Shark diving and I'm told there should be around 20-30 of them and its amazing! Anyways, keep it cool and Happy Birthday Mum!!!

Sam

Advertisement



6th July 2011

What we've been up to at the beginning of July
Hi Sam and friends. We too have been enjoying ourselves. We spent an awesome weekend with wonderful weather in Somerset at a Warner's Hotel. You probably haven't heard of these but I assure that everyone over 60 has. We had good food, good entertainment, wonderful scenery and as I have said, good weather. There were quite a lot of mobility scooters and walking sticks around but you know it was still good fun! Continue to have a great time everyone, look after yourselves and keep safe. Love N and A.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb