Memories of the Ruined City of Chichen Itza


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Chichén Itzá
April 16th 2005
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This sacred site was one of the greatest Mayan centres of the Yucatán peninsula. Throughout its nearly 1,000-year history, different peoples have left their mark on the city. The Maya, Toltec and Iztec vision of the world and the universe is revealed in their stone monuments and artistic works. The fusion of Mayan construction techniques with new elements from central Mexico make Chichen-Itza one of the most important examples of the Mayan-Toltec civilization in Yucatán. Several buildings have survived, such as the Warriors' Temple, El Castillo and the circular observatory known as El Caracol.



Trying to add some adventure to our lives, we opted to not pay for the packaged tour to Chichen Itza (about $40 to 50 if I remember correctly) and opted to venture out on our own. We needed some adventure. It was an early morning for us. We woke at 5am to catch the bus from our resort in Cancun to bus station in the city center. There we found the booth that sold tickets for a bus to Chichen Itza, BAM!, I cant remember the price but we calculated that we were saving half by doing everything ourselves.

It was a comfortable 3 hr ride to the site. The bus didnt take the highway route which would have cut time, but we were able to see some small villages along the way and see, if only briefly how the people outside the city lived.

Another plus to doing the trip yourself is that you arrive at the site when there are no other tour groups there! Free from all the congestion that they bring. Plus earlier in the day is much more cooler than having to suffer the crowds and sun during mid-day. Its an exhilarating feeling having the huge pyramid like structure all to yourself, gazing at the sites around.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Going up!Going up!
Going up!

I hate stairs
You can do it!You can do it!
You can do it!

Almost there, Miss Nasty Girl
Enjoying the viewEnjoying the view
Enjoying the view

Relaxing after a 5 minute climb


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb