Think pink


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Celestun
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We saw a poster at the hostel to go to Celestun to see the flamingoes so decided to book that for the next day (Saturday). So glad we did as it was amazing. The van picked us up at the hostel which made a nice change from walking to the bus station. There were 4 Mexican guys and one Japanese girl on the tour as well. The driver gave us info on the wee Mayan towns as we drove through them, and got to see traditional Mayan houses that are still lived in.

We got a boat out to the flamingoes, which you could see from ages away as a pink line against the green trees and blue water. There were loads of them squaking away and eating the mosquito lavae (though they must have missed some cos me and Lorna are both being bitten). The driver took the boat up really close to the flamingoes and shut of the motor so all you could hear was the birds. They get noiser when the boat is closer but don´t fly off. While we were sitting there flocks of them were flying over to join other groups in the water. We also saw some pelicuns cruising around.

After that we got taken through the mangroves and got to swim in a yellowish pond, which was from the sulphur not people using it as a toilet! When we got back to the dock bit there were 2 iguanas sitting there sunning themselves. Lunch was at a restaurant right on the beach of the Mexican Gulf, which we got to go swimming in before eating. Was really hot even with the breeze. I got bored so decided to write Dunedin with the shells so kept my entertained for a while. Lunch was yummy fish, not sure what kind but good. I was piling the hot green sauce onto my bread with no problems and one of the Mexican guys tried it and couldn´t speak for about 10 minutes! Was kinda funny once he was able to breathe again.

The next day was our trip to Uxmal so that will be the next blog. Having a great time so far am loving the heat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb