MEXICO I - Maya Ruins, Beach and San Cristobal


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán
August 19th 2009
Published: August 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Monday 10 Aug I left Habana and flew in into the US-like tourist-mekka of Cancun, which was kind of another culture shock...

After spending a day organising some things I did a day trip to the famous Maya ruins of Chichen Itza - definitely worth seeing, but due to the loads of people (and the little time I had) a busy thing.

From there I went straight on south to Tulum - a nice little town with a beautiful laid-back beach nearby - ideal for enjoying some relaxing days...

So after 3 days in Tulum i went on to Palenque - also a famous place for Maya Ruins, which are set in the middle of the jungle with a very nice atmosphere and far less busy tourists.

Another 4 hours bus ride away (supposed the roads are not blocked) is the colonial town of San Cristobal at about 2000m altitude. This rather chilly town is famous for the Zapatista Revolution in the 90s, but solely worth visiting due to its colonial flair and nice to cool down after the hot days at the beach and the jungle.

After two nice and funny days in San Cristobal my way continues to Mexico City, from where my trip goes on... to Europe...

Greets


Additional photos below
Photos: 94, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb