Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Tabasco
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Tabasco
Latest Blogs from Tabasco
- December 30th 2009 Comalcalco, TABASCO.
by Words: 274 Photos: 14
- December 29th 2009 Villahermosa, TABASCO.
by Words: 537 Photos: 21
- April 9th 2009 3 Bikes to Villahermosa
by Words: 794 Photos: 5
- March 11th 2009 Tabasco
by Words: 493 Photos: 78
- January 9th 2009 Villahermosa
by Words: 119 Photos: 0
- August 12th 2008 Putas son como drogas.
by Words: 126 Photos: 0
- August 12th 2008 Aino, a small lady from Finland.
by Words: 175 Photos: 0
- April 9th 2008 MEXICO/DOMINICANA #19: OAXACA - VILLAHERMOSA
by Words: 0 Photos: 3
- March 22nd 2008 Guest Author
by Words: 455 Photos: 9
- September 3rd 2007 The rest of Mexico...
by Words: 434 Photos: 6
- August 19th 2007 Fat heads
by Words: 120 Photos: 7
- May 1st 2007 one night on the run in villahermosa
by Words: 72 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2007 Big Heads and Carnival
by Words: 1104 Photos: 0