Seattle to Mazatlan


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
February 16th 2010
Published: February 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Port Townsend to La Isla de la Piedra

by VW van, ferry, foot, train, bus, pullmonia, panga, foot....66 hours

On February 6, 2010, we left Port Townsend at 6:00am, to head to the ferry and then hop on the Amtrak, riding 40 hours to San Diego. After jumping on the Greyhound in San Diego, we rode to Calexico and walked across the border, into Mexicali. We then rode Elite bus line for 24 hours to Mazatlan. A short walk later and a small boat ride, we landed on Isla de la Piedra. We walked to our beachfront hide-a-way, Chabella's. We have a small room and bath, a lovely covered patio/porch, where we get in some morning Pilates, and a kitchen palapa. We've patronized our local vendors for fruits and veggies and Che brings us great Manguabo fish. We're laying low here to recharge until tomorrow. We've taken in most of the island on foot, climbed goat mountain a few times, and hit Mazatlan for the market. We'll go to the older parts of town today and explore a little before moving on into the mountain region, to meet up lakefront with Jim and Rosita.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Tacoma Narrows BridgeTacoma Narrows Bridge
Tacoma Narrows Bridge

The train ran along the water and under the bridge.
Elite bus lineElite bus line
Elite bus line

The Mexican bus was very comfortable...and even included free movies. Ever seen Beverly Hills Chihuahua? Even better in Spanish!
The borderThe border
The border

I can't think of a better use of tax money, can you?
campesinoscampesinos
campesinos

very polite and quiet neighbors on the bus
morning mistmorning mist
morning mist

Not too hard to imagine this place a thousand years ago...
EmbarcaderoEmbarcadero
Embarcadero

To get from Mazatlan to Isla de la Piedro, there is a system of small (and we think privately-run) shuttle boats that run constantly.
safety firstsafety first
safety first

Just jump on the boat, and don your life vest. When the boat fills up, you go. As you can see, I am the model of safety.
cocos!cocos!
cocos!

My first coconut, in our kitchen palapa.
Cerro de los ChivosCerro de los Chivos
Cerro de los Chivos

Goat Mountain was calling to us...
GorditaGordita
Gordita

The spirit was willing, but can the body make it? Gordita thought she'd give it a try. Tramp followed, too.
chivochivo
chivo

"What the hell are you doing on my rock?"


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb