Shore Perfection


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
January 17th 2014
Published: January 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

"Come to the beach
Where the sea is blue.
And little white waves
Come running at you."

Buenos Dias! Top o' the morning to you all! How is life treating you?

It's a glorious day here today, it's been cool here the last 2 days but it hasn't stopped us from "gettin' jiggy with it". 😉 We enjoyed a morning coffee on the balcony; it's so sunny that it's almost hard to gaze at the ocean for very long with the strong reflection bouncing back. The beach is getting busy with everyone that was hibernating inside outside now streaming out in throngs to soak up some rays. It's marvelous to have our own big private balcony, with dining table & chairs to eat, drink, chat & watch the world go by. Our roof top terrace is out of a magazine, loungers, tables & chairs, a bistro dining set, and amazing views of Playa, the ocean and Cozumel Island. A virtual feast for the eyes.

Al had a fantastic ocean dive yesterday (I thought it was a cenote dive). He thoroughly enjoyed it; he saw of course all kinds of tropical beautiful fish on his first ocean dive at a dive site called "tortuga" (which means turtles), and the first thing he saw as he descended was a huge lobster. He saw some big turtles with barnacles on their shell, feeding on the grass on the bottom. He saw a nurse shark sleeping under an overhang of coral; its size was about 5 feet long. Then in the blue distance the guide pointed and a bull shark was swimming off in the distance; Al figures it was about 3 meters in length. Then they came up to rest on the boat for their surface interval (necessary to dissipate the nitrogen in your blood) resting for approximately 45 minutes before their next dive. They went to "barracuda reef" on their next dive & guess what he saw when he first went down, a giant barracuda! He saw the poisonous fish called rock fish and he stayed away from them!

In the meantime, us gals went to a fresh vegetable & fruit store, and bought some fresh flowers, gladiolus, bird of paradise, day lilies and purple chrysanthemum for our the condo we were moving into.

Thereafter, though we are staying on 6th street, we took a cab up to 48th street to have lunch at Canibal Royal, a 50s theme Latin club that overlooks the ocean and is built to look like a ship. A DJ was spinning tunes and we sat on the 2nd level and enjoyed sweeping views of the sparkling ocean. It was actually very warm in the sun so we got a shaded table. The food was lovely with wood oven grilled chicken, tacos, crispy shrimp and mini beef burgers (they have a wood smoker oven on the beach to cook the food).

Oh yeah, and cold beer, margaritas and tropical fruit smoothies. Awwwwh, you can just sit there and all your cares float away. Cares you might have in the future even float away. A real good system cleanse of watching the boats go by while the warm wind caresses your face. There are moments where no one has to talk, we are all so enthralled with the view. If you are there and complaining, then you need to get hit upside the head with a frying pan for being ungrateful. (I'd be happy to do it to you too😊 heh heh...frying pan for hire.

So as mentioned, we moved condos yesterday which went off without a hitch and this condo is absolutely beautiful, elegantly decorated, fully equipped and luxurious loungers and even a water fountain on the rooftop (see pics below). We sat out on the balcony and read and enjoyed the views this condos offers us. Kids are spending as much time in the pool as they can; they will look like prunes when they go home.

After a glorious day yesterday, Al went to his favorite lounge to watch the Sens play Montreal. The owner is from Montreal so it's a fun group that hangs out there. Mom & I took the girls by cab to a Cuban lounge to hear their Latin band, but they didn't perform till 9 so we did some shopping. Don Julio Tequila was being offered as a one day special for almost 50% off. So I bought what I could legally bring back home. So that was worth the trip up to the north of Playa. It is alive with artists dotting the street, painting, selling their work & it's all quite impressive. Lots of new restaurants are there, very upscale, from sushi to Argentinian to Italian and we enjoyed a drink and the kids had hot chocolate & they actually put chunks of dark chocolate in your cup, then grate some more over the cream. YUMMY on a cool night!

Al kept sending me emails of the play by play and when it wasn't in the Sens favor (scoring on themselves) he was flipping out! When it went into overtime the crowd went bananas. We in the meantime made our way back towards our condo & like a magnetic pull, back to our favorite night time spot to hear the Mariachi and miramba group. The wonderful staff were there to greet us. They brought us ponchos to warm us up which was thoughtful. Mom wanted to bring her poncho home with her.

No big adventures so far; this is a much needed R&R trip and that's what we are doing. Today (Fri) was to be Isla Mujeres but Ava had a bad headache last night so we cancelled the trip in case. It would've been a banner day to go, but we'll try for tomorrow.

A few days down, a week to go. Hope I'm not boring the ever living daylights out of you, but as I said, read at your own risk.

Off to get some groceries and do some sight seeing along the way.(PS we had a mini fun adventure along the way, I'll catch up with ya tomorrow OK?)

Per usual, pics below, maybe onto 2 pages. Salud from Sal 😊

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

My, oh my, what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine headin' my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

Mister Bluebird's on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actual
Ev'rything is satisfactual

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day, yes sir!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



18th January 2014

Hola Sally, finally catching up with you. I have been off the grid traveling in Veracruz, no access to internet. Arrived in pdc early this am. Off to isla mujures in the am for the weekend. Would like to have that drink with you and meet you before you return. Maybe one day next week we could arrange something??? Let me know....adios
18th January 2014

Hola Sally, finally catching up with you. I have been off the grid traveling in Veracruz, no access to internet. Arrived in pdc early this am. Off to isla mujures in the am for the weekend. Would like to have that drink with you and meet you before you return. Maybe one day next week we could arrange something??? Let me know....adios
18th January 2014

Shore Perfection
Hi Debbie, send you an email. Would love to meet up with you guys in the next week! Ironic we are all going to Isla Mujeres the same day :)

Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb