World Cup, BBQ & Rodeo


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

BBQ rules:

Don't touch another man's "grill".

Where there's smoke, there's flavor.

It's acceptable to eat with your fingers.

"Sauce" happens!

Moaning while eating is considered a compliment.

Things I love.

Beach BBQs & the unmistakable smell of charcoal...

I think it's safe to say we all love the smell of BBQ & charcoal and we got to bask in some charcoal BBQ yesterday. As mentioned Sundays are big here in Playa for beach BBQ. We met the gang on the beach to enjoy BBQ/lunch at the Indigo Club; a bali themed/exotic beach club with a couple of big barbecue's smoking, and chefs in white top hats putting out some really good grill. This beach club is part of a very high end condo hotel (Playa Beach Getaways manages properties here) and I think some of the penthouse properties go for $800/$1000 a night in high season. (Walk softly and carry a big wallet). There's waterfalls, ponds, pools, Balinese day beds, loungers and umbrellas and tropical lush trees and gardens. It's a very trendy place but the food at the club is very good and actually well priced.

Al & I arrived first, and we sat under some palm trees while big screen TVs on the beach played the World Cup. Germany took home the coveted prize and they went into it as an underdog with Brazil (ahem) as the favorite. The cheering, jeering and at times bated- breath quietness was almost nerve wracking and I wasn't even as invested as the people crowded onto the beach and into the bars. We were happy to be out of the fray sitting in the lounge area of the beach letting the die-hards soak it all up.

Since we've been here we've watch Wimbledon tennis, World Cup soccer and the Calgary Stampede...our eyes are darting here there and everywhere. We need two sets of eyes. Playa is a HUGE sports town with lots of pubs/bars with big screen TVs playing NFL, soccer, tennis and NHL.

There was a Tequila promotion going on at the club. A team wearing "Salt" Tequila shirts were walking around offering tastes of 3 of their new tequilas. Citrus, strawberry & chocolate shots. I had a sip of citrus and gave it to Al...not much for tequila unless in a margarita (Sue & Cory would be in pig heaven!!!) Pat (who will have a glass of wine on a rare occasion thought she'd give them a try (I think she tried all 3 tastes and managed to walk out of there!) It was a cool idea, and let me tell you all the patrons of the restaurant enjoyed the drinks.

Here's there blurb for anyone wishing to try a new tequila:

SALT Tequila is a culmination of years of determination, innovation, expertise and countless blends that inspired a clear, smooth, sweet and naturally flavored 100%!A(MISSING)gave Tequila.

Each bottle of SALT Tequila is made from handpicked, 100%!p(MISSING)ure, blue agave plants from the mountains of Jalisco, one of the country’s most fertile agave-growing regions. It is here where each agave plant is allowed to grow seven to ten years before its harvested, resulting in the mellow, sweet and fully developed agave flavor of SALT Tequila.

The process of creating SALT Tequila is as unique as the tequila itself. It’s a process that requires the focus and dedication of a boutique distillery, the skilled and practiced hands of a brew master and people trained in the art and craft of tequila, naturally flavoring and blending to capture the highest quality Drink.

Anyhow, we were all ravenous after smelling the flavors coming off the grills. I decided on a grilled salmon with a chipotle-butter sauce and grilled vegetables and rosemary roasted potatoes. Al & Pat both had the grilled chicken & veggie kabobs with a southern coleslaw, Ray had calamari, Martha had chicken fahitas, and the girls enjoyed a smoked turkey, chicken & bacon club with fries. My salmon was perfectly cooked, and the veggies and potatoes were excellent. The chipotle butter was so flavorful with just a lovely hint of a bit of a bite. The grilled chicken kabobs were a nice size, and BBQ'd perfectly. All in all well done chefs. We enjoyed a chocolate lava cake with authentic vanilla ice cream, and a warm strawberry couli topped with a cold mascarpone cream sauce... It was SO light and fresh.

It was a perfect day, a wonderful lunch, great company, sounds of soccer & music filled the air & we had breathtaking views of boats and parasailers going by, making it for quite a Domingo/Sunday. Thank you Pat (and Ray for generously treating us to lunch). These are the best of times sitting by the ocean, with a warm breeze and watching the activities around you.

It was a lovely walk back home along the beach which was really busy around 5:30. We got home and just floated in the pool while feeling sated and relaxed listening to some Latin music.

Being the final day of the Calgary Stampede, we turned on the outside TV to enjoy the schedule. Sitting by the pool at night, with the palms swaying, waterfalls going in the pool, enjoying a cool drink, well it DOES NOT GET BETTER THAN THIS.

I am learning more about rodeo than I ever could have imagined including chuck wagon races. I get such a charge out of the commentators of the rodeo; these vets that have literally been around the track many times, facing injuries, financial woes, competition, bad breaks and if they are lucky the odd win so they can do it all over again. It seems to me being a cowboy in the rodeo circuit is a long shot to fame & fortune but a sure shot to broken bones and back injuries. It seems like heartbreak & disappointment is a constant theme in the life of a cowboy. But it's tradition, in the blood and deep in their bones like ttheir marrow. I feel anxious watching the bull riders waiting for the 8 seconds to be up which seems forever for the viewer but must seem like a life time for the rider.

Back in 2011 Al & I watched this fascinating docu/ality series about rodeo life in Canada and the filmmakers spent 8 months filming the series taking in 45 professional rodeos. It was at times heartbreaking to watch, yet frustrating too because it involves families on the brink of financial disaster if they don't get the purse. And a broken leg to a cowboy can end a career.

These guys & their families travel the circuit without guarantee of a pay cheque. And there are all the wives with babies in the stands cheering and waving on their husbands while probably trying to figure out how to juggle kids, a job and how the heck will all the bills get paid (robbing Peter to pay Paul)...Wow. Behind every successful rodeo cowboy there is a wife with a good job in town. Al if you take up rodeo, you are toast. Crisp toast; I will support you in anything but I just would not have the fortitude to be in that business. Lucky for me Al looks good in a cowboy hat and that's the extent of it!! (Remember Shannon's wedding anyone? Shannon send me your wedding pic of Al all dressed up as a cowboy holding that rifle...dangerous & warning to our girls potential mates!!!)

It seems fitting to have had a BBQ for lunch and watched the rodeo at night. Sheesh next thing you know it I'll be getting fitted for a pair of cowboy boots and a hat. Yeeehaw. Saddle up, here I come 😊

Signing off on Monday morning. Al's diving, Marth is deep sea fishing, and I'm well...hmmm, floating in the pool and thinking about where to go in Playa to get my cowboy boots & hat. There are lots of places...this is Mexico you know, where cowboys and cowgirls roam.

(PS pics of our BBQ/Rodeo day below...click to enlarge you cowboys/cowgirls) Hey and drop me a comment; I want to make sure you're all OK 😊

Giddy up y'all!

Sal Gal


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



14th July 2014

Cowboy Story for ya
Thought since you are right into the stampede, you may enjoy a little cowboy story. Cory's great uncle, Herman Linder was a famous cowboy and so was his daughter and son-in-law Tom Bews. They were both Canadian champs for 5 years and both were North American champs. Tommy actually trains horses for the movies now with his sons. He doubled for Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven. No wonder Cece is so horse crazy.
14th July 2014

Cowboy story
Love it! I guess it's in the blood or in the family history!!! Must pass this story along to Ray and Pat :)
15th July 2014

Cowboy Al
Yes, I do remember my wedding and those fabulous wedding pictures! None of them are on my computer though or I would send them to you immediately. Let me know if you'd really like that picture sent to you and I'll dig it up. It's good to hear what you guys are up to! Enjoy!
15th July 2014

Cowboy Al
Hey Shannon, don't go to any trouble; it's just a great pic! Nice to hear from you!

Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1961s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb