Cancun


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
June 2nd 2014
Published: June 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

The bus from Playa Del Carmen dropped us off at the ADO bus station in downtown Cancun on Avenue Tulum.



Where We Stayed

Hotel Tankah - North of Mercado 28 on Tankah near Xel-ha. M$250 for a large room with bathroom, aircon and non cable TV. Free hot and cold water and internet. The rates posted inside the hotel are a lot higher but are negotiable. Near the market and supermarkets.



Hostel Kankun - M$150 for a double room with share bathroom and internet. Roof terrace. Good value for one or two nights. Can use the kitchen. There was a lot of the owners stuff lying around and it was a bit rough around the edges (we had to walk through their wardrobe to get to our room). Main door is locked and you can only get in and out by key, we had to wait for a while before we could check in as the owner was out.



What We Did

Visited the Hotel Zone and the beach - from avenue Tulum you can catch the R1 or R2 (which goes past Walmart) to the Hotel Zone. Cost is M$9.50. The main shops/beach/entertainment areas are from KM10 onwards. On the way back you can catch a bus going further down the strip and it loops around at KM19.5 and returns to the city so you can see the whole strip.

Visited Mercado 23 and 28 - there is nothing in mercado 23 at all, it is not worth a trip. Mercado 28 has the usual tourist tat but be prepared to haggle a lot.



Where We Ate

There are plenty of supermarkets around including a Walmart on Avenue Xcart near Avenue Palenque.



Where We Went Next

We were heading to Florida to meet up with Jess' parents who were on holiday there. To get to Cancun airport we caught the airport ADO bus at 7am. We bought tickets the day before for M$62. Put your own bags under the bus and tell the driver which terminal you want. We were flyign JetBlue and the departure tax was included in the air fare. As we arrived in Mexico by land we had to pay a tourist tax of M$306 or US$30 at the immigration building before we could pick up our boarding pass.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.483s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb