Puerto Angel


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Puerto Escondido
March 13th 2014
Published: March 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Thursday and Friday, March 13-14, 2014

The days sort of melt together. We eat our melon and mango, we sit on the beach and watch the surfers with the gang in the morning, Joe takes a walk to the Point and back, we swim in the afternoon, and go to Playa Zicatela for the sunset aways running into people we know.

Friday night we finally ate at the Hotel Santa Fe, so many have suggested we go there. We had the chili rellanos which were made with raisins and almonds and some other spices. Very different than any other rellanos we've ever had, but they were quite good. We walked up the lookout on the beach and then had a drink at the Split Coconut. Walking home, we ran into four different couples that we knew so took us about an hour to get back. The waves at Playa Zicatela appear to be much bigger than before. We saw some whales today, one fairly close to shore.

Have I mentioned that it's pretty "buggy" here? It is the tropics, after all. The bug spray we were using wasn't doing much good so after a few days we went to the farmacia and got the super duper deet stuff. That spray removed all the polish from my toenails so am wondering about the effects on our skin. I'm glad I didn't spend money on a professional pedicure before we came. At least I'm not getting so many bites now, I do appreciate Prescott's lack of flying biting insects.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

After our usual breakfast we were back on the highway flagging down another bus. This time we rode all the way to Pochutla, about an hour ride southeast. After jumping off at a sign that pointed to Puerto Angel we waited by the side of the road with a nice young Mexican lady that told us a colectivo to Puerto Angel would be coming by. We were expecting the usual pickup truck with bench seats in back, but this time the colectivo turned out to be a well used taxi cab. Two other young men got up front with the driver, our young pleasantly plump friend and I got in the back seat and that left Joe with his backpack loaded with our snorkeling gear to try to squeeze in back with us. At first it appeared it just wasn't going to happen, but after giving me the pack to hold and several painful body contortions on Joe's part he was able to sorta fit in. And wouldn't you know, just as he was almost in, the rubber casing from the car window fell off and lassoed his head. The girl and I were laughing so hard, maybe you had to be there, but Joe didn't think it was nearly as funny as we did.

It was a fast ride to Puerto Angel and we enjoyed yet another nice day of swimming and snorkeling and eating good food, this time grilled shrimp. We walked on a crumbling stone walkway from one beach to another. This was a pretty place, but sad that so many buildings were abandoned or in badly need of some repair. We decided to spend the extra money on a real cab to take us back to Pochutla. When we got to the highway we saw a chicken bus heading to Puerto Escondido but the driver wanted to take us to the main bus terminal. We told him the cheap bus was fine with us. The driver made a u-turn in the middle of the city street and sped up the highway to catch the bus we had seen. Turns out it was some kind of special bus that we couldn't get on. Joe and I wanted to get out at the highway to wait for another bus, but the driver would have none of that. He insisted on taking us to the main terminal to catch a "better" bus. So we waited at the terminal for 40 minutes. The only redeeming factor was that we did get to see some of the city. Turns out the nice bus costs just about the same as the others we were used to and has air conditioning. But it was so crowded that Joe and I couldn't sit together and the guy in front of me immediately put his seat back as far as he could so that his head was about five inches away from my face. His hair oil was so strong smelling that I had to cover my nose with my shirt. The guy wasn't even sleeping, either. He needed to be in a reclining position to play games on his phone? Joe wasn't impressed with this bus experience either.
Yogurt in PE Yogurt in PE Yogurt in PE

I love to sit up here eating frozen yogurt while watching the happenings on Playa Zicatela.
Give us the cheap buses where people are smiling and laughing and you might even have a guitar player serenade you.

Back at Dos Palmas for probably the 20th time this trip I rejoiced at the ecstasy of washing the sand from all my bodily cracks and crannies. What a feeling!

We ate fruit and guacamole for dinner. Puerto Angel-check.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Hotel Santa FeHotel Santa Fe
Hotel Santa Fe

View from our table.
Hotel Santa FeHotel Santa Fe
Hotel Santa Fe

Chili rellanos, different and good.
Legends of the FallLegends of the Fall
Legends of the Fall

Joe's foot is pointing to the thing on the sidewalk that I tripped on one of the first nights we were here. You can also see the door that helped break my fall.
Split CoconutSplit Coconut
Split Coconut

Dale and Joe are this week's champions. Just had to take a photo.
Split CoconutSplit Coconut
Split Coconut

Joe and his favorite server, Anna.
Playa ZicatelaPlaya Zicatela
Playa Zicatela

Bought some earrings from this sweet girl.
Puerto Escondido Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido

Cooking up some asado in the street.


17th March 2014

You are hilarious!
Love your descriptions of your adventures - I was laughing too! Great photos as usual - do you know what those unusual trees are?

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb