update end of trip


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 29th 2010
Published: November 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

- bob -
A Day Trip to Mitla
I thought I would give you an idea of one of our activities. The last time we were here we didn't get to the ruins at Mitla. Yesterday we went to see them.
We took an hour journey on the second class bus to get there followed by a short tricycle cab ride. Browsed a minimal museum and wandered through the reconstructed ruins. This was not a Monte Alban, Palenque or Teotihuacan. Just some piles of stones, rocks, modern recreations and a few very old atifacts. Turns out most of the construction material was taken by the spaniards to build a church in the 16h century. We found this to be true in Europe on our travels also. It was much easier to tear down the Roman constructions to build with rather than quarry from raw rock.
We walked past the artesan hawkers through town to catch the bus back to Oaxaca. Along the way we stopped for a light lunch/dinner. We got back to Oaxaca as the sun was setting and walked back to our apartment. The tab for all of the above was 300 pesos, about $25. Cetainly a bargin.

-bob-
Well we're back! 3 1/2 weeks early. Sue wasn't getting any better so we decided to leave some things for next trip. Our adventure on the way home was to stay at the Aeropuerto Ramada Inn. Muy caro. $113 plus tips. It was a great choice. Nice room. Restaurant was perfect for the occasion. Free shuttle to our airline. After a layover in Houston ( 3hrs) we got into Sacramento about 6PM. Carl picked us up and we headed directly to the Nugget Market to buy good cheese, good wine, and good bread. Then on to Carl and Tamara's where we feasted on those things we couldn't find in Mexico. It was glorious.
This morning is very cool, sunny and looks to be a great day. The trip was shorter than we planned but we have more to see on the next trip. Happy Thanksgiving.


Advertisement



30th November 2010

welcome home.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb