Spanglish


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
November 20th 2009
Published: November 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hola,

We have landed in the land of Tequlia and Tacos. We have forgotten how hard it is not to speak the language however we are managing to get by with what we have learnt and with some sign language and pointing. Leanne even managed to purchase a memory card for her camera with the locals.

First day in Mexico City was a public holiday, they were celebrating the revolution, hence there wasnt much open. But with Leannes great map skills we found our way around the city pretty easliy. That night we met the people from our tour and tour leader. There are 7 of us including Leanne and myself. Rick the tour leader, is from the South of Mexico and is in a rock goth band, which we looked up on myspace, not really our taste in music. Two Canadians Dennis and Nadine, they have very good spanish, which has helped us out on a couple of occasions, they take photos like Japanese tourist. Andrew and Ted are from Sylvania of all places bloody shire, cant get away from it! They are a classic and are both flight attendants with Qantas (say no more), we seem to get on with them best, they make us laugh and vice versa. That leaves Tony another Aussie from Canberra, who loves his man sandals (jandles) and seems to wear them everywhere possible, he is the nerd of the group (there has to be one).

Day two: Took a bus some special religious site with a very special painting of Mary (man she is everywhere) then we continued onto archaeological ruins of Teotihuacan. Pryamids of the sun and the moon. We climbed both of them, which was an amazing experience. We got reenergised by the sun at the top of the sun pryamid. That even we went to town square and seen the light show, celebrating the relevoution.

Day Three: We would rather forget about. It was free day, so Leanne and I went to the bank and it ate Leannes card. Hence we spent the morning running around canceling and reordering new cards, it was a very stressful morning, which warranted a full strength coke and strong coffee to calm the nerves after the ordeal. We then visited some museums, in the afternoon, which were all in spanish, so we had no idea what we were looking at, so we started making up stories to entertain ourselves. Seen more of Mary than we can too and Leanne saw a very old chair! Some of us learnt the hard way not to eat the salad, one being me. One must remeber what goes down, must come back up!

Day Four: Caught a bus to Puebla, which we really liked (well what i seen of it), it had hand painted tiles all over the buildings, Ted and Leanne took an expedition to the supermarket, which was down town (off the map) and purchase some wine and cheese for pre dinner snacks. In the end the pre dinner snacks were so good, we ended up ordering pizza and sitting and chatting with everyone, which was really good, it nice to try some local wine.

Day Five: Caught another bus (a bit longer this time) to Oaxaca, its know for its mexican handicrafts. We have spent the arvo walking around looking all the different things. Crickets are high on the menu here! They are everywhere, along with chillis, chocolate and Margaritas. We had our first Margaritas today and boy they were nice, really hit the spot (just ask Ted). Tomorrow we are off to the ancient Zapotec ruins at Monte Alban, for the morning and then free afternoon and then onto an overnight bus.


Sorry its too hard to attach photos at this stage, we may be able to upload some when we hit Miami. Internets are hard to come by and sometimes the Margaritas are calling us, but when we get the chance we will update the blog.

Thats all for now, until next time.


Leanne and Cheryl






Advertisement



21st November 2009

missing you
loved your blurb and OH SHIT... Leanne's card... talk about an amazing race moment. I have visuals like you wouldn't believe. Can't beelive you only had coke and coffee after that. Looking forward to hearing more. Love you guys x
21st November 2009

Hola Chickas!
Hey girls, The blog is great....bring it on! love reading all your little tales. i don't do tequila bit have one for me anyway - and a fried cricket while you're at it. x
22nd November 2009

Margaritas delight***###
Hi leanchez, Thanks for the travelogue.Sounds like your both having a great time. Hope you don't have any more stressful days re the the card at the bank. Never mind. Mexico, as I thought from your descriptions and experiences sounds like a really fascinating place. I wouldn't worry to much about the photo's as it will just whet the appetite when we see them down the track. Had a laugh about finding those Aussies on your tour, we as a people sure get a round, thats for sure. Glad that your all entertaining each other which adds to the experiences. Anyway, continue to enjoy yourselves and look forward to hearing about some of more of your Latin experiences in due course.Take care. Michael

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb