good friday


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The computer just erased my entry so here I go again.

It is Good Friday here in Oaxaca and it is a different sort of easter weekend than back home. Although many mexicans have gone to the beach for the holidays, I have not seen an Easter Bunny - either of fur or chocolate. it is still a religious holday here with processions and church events.

Today there have been several processions from different churchs with Jesus in his purple robe and crown of thorns carrying a cross being carried, with sombre music usually on horns, often (always?) incorporating the way of the cross which I dont really understand. One procession was of the Virgin Mary (who with the virginde guadeloupe is extremely important here in mexico with shrines and is often prayed to) which met up with the procession of Jesus in front of a church (temple de merced) where I believe she was saying goodbye. There is a larger silent procession tonight at 6.

Yesterday watched a reinactment of the last supper with jesus washing the diciples feet at the basicilica de soledad (it took place in many other chruches too). In another church people were lined up to touch jesus´ robe - this was still going on as I passed again at 11pm.

Yesterday had an quiet day - went to the big market in the morning - which made me wish I had a kitchen with all the fruits and veggies and many kinds of dried chilies, which are sold both outside and interspersed with the fish and meats (which kinda have their own section like everything) and dried grasshoppers and shoes and cds and household goods in this maze of narrow aisles with men pushing carts through the people and in some areas with women with their small amount of fruits or veggies having them spread out on a blanket on the floor. One of the things I really like about Mexico, though you did have to cross one of those crazy intersections to get there - wade out into traffic and wait for it to get stuck.

At night went out with my dormmate and 2 of her friends. They are all american activists (have met and seen more americans here than anywhere else (except cancun) on my trip) - 2 of them are recent college grads with the idealism of such and one - who they had just met was a strident 50ish guy who works for a lefty mag. They all seem to be draw here by the events of the past year and the conversation while interesting also put me off. Could see why I am no longer in that scene.

Back out - may leave tommorow but am not sure of where to go. realize my flight to the us is in less than 3 weeks and have no where there either. Off to the zocollo - the tourist centre of town - and to wander for a bit before the procession

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb