Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Uruapan
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Uruapan
Latest Blogs from Uruapan
- February 23rd 2012 RVing in Mexico with Raymondo y Marsia - 2012
by Words: 1198 Photos: 42
- February 19th 2012 Uruapan
by Words: 126 Photos: 4
- February 18th 2012 Angahuan
by Words: 899 Photos: 30
- April 1st 2010 Volcán Paricutín
by Words: 4 Photos: 0
- February 14th 2010 Uruapan and Parque Nacional Barranca del Cupatitzio
by Words: 1366 Photos: 16
- December 30th 2009 Uruapan, MICHOACÁN.
by Words: 470 Photos: 33
- December 23rd 2009 Mexico Part I - Michoacan district
by Words: 966 Photos: 19
- January 6th 2009 Uruapan
by Words: 286 Photos: 4
- November 24th 2008 NYC
by Words: 11 Photos: 2
- August 4th 2008 An Amazing Weekend!!
by Words: 1878 Photos: 0
- May 19th 2008 So much beauty and fun!!!
by Words: 1594 Photos: 14
- May 19th 2008 Uruapan and Bday Celebration
by Words: 347 Photos: 0
- February 3rd 2008 Chapter 7, Patzcuaro to Villa Corona
by Words: 2803 Photos: 1