Terrible Storm in Bucerias


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Puerto Vallarta
February 2nd 2010
Published: February 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It rained all day Tuesday, putting a damper on the first day of our vacation (haha). OUr hostess Ronnie loaned us an umbrella, and we walked around a bit trying to get a feel for the place. We took a bus to the nearest Mega store for groceries, and the rain really set in on the way. we decided to take a cab back and just chill in the apartment. That night, about 11pm, the wind picked up and the rain started lashing at the windows. The plants moved around on the deck and the patio furniture crashed up against the patio doors. Then the wind took the screen right off of the patio doors off the bedroom. We looked out and saw the palm trees blowing sideways, just like in the news clips you see of hurricanes. Then the power went out! We huddled in the bedroom farthest from the big patio windows, and cranked up our flashlight. Our host came upstairs to make sure we were OK. We were, but a bit spooked. By then, the storm was dying down a bit, so there was nothing more to do but go to bed.

Next day we saw the damage from the storm. We walked around town taking pictures and talking to people who were out trying to clean up the mess. Everyone says that in all the years they have been here, they have never had a storm like this at this time of year. Roofs blew off. Trees were uprooted. Wires came down and started fires. Most of the shops and restaurants were closed, or only partially open while they tried to repair the damage. Our host's papaya tree was blown down into the pool, and the bouganvillia that lined the fence and was in such beautiful bloom yesterday was lain flat on the road. Still, this damage was all - aside from a small leak in the roof into our kitchen - easily fixed. Stoically, people just get to work and clean up as best they can. We feel sad for the ones who lost their homes or their stores.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



25th October 2015

So Sad
We spent 10 winters in Bucerias at the Fred & Mayo's Trailer park south of town. We loved our "little" town , and we hope you are taking of it. It is a magic place.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb