Viva La Revolución!!!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato » San Miguel de Allende
November 21st 2008
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The Parade Begins 13 secs
2: That silly Street Dog! 29 secs
3: Go Kids Go! 23 secs
4: Viva Mexico! 9 secs
It has been really cold lately here in SMA. Everyone is wearing puffy jackets and scarves, but cold weather never stoped a great Mexican Celebration nor a Parade...(I think in fact nothing can stop them.) Yesterday was the aniversario of the start of the Mexican Revolution in 1910. The conflict lasted until around 1920 and many legendary Mexican heroes were involved: Pancho Villa, Emiliano Zapata, and Francisco I. Madero among others... The memory of the struggle lives on today in a parade in which children dress as revolutionaries with fake mustaches and long braids with ribbon.

Last week we had a wonderful visit with Ronnie's folks. We eat, drank and were muy feliz. Their time here went so fast and in a whirlwind of fun and dominoes! All that running around however combined with the chilly weather we have been having, put us a bit under the weather.

Since Ronnie still has a cold, I ventured into centro on my own yesterday. My first stop was at the public library to see what was available at the book sale. I decided to pick up the book "Casino," the mob story that was turned into a movie with Robert DeNiro,
Women with gunsWomen with gunsWomen with guns

are so cool
to get in the mood for our upcoming Vegas adventure. Then I walked along the streets filled with people in anticipation of the parade. I picked a spot where I could easily escape off to my Spanish lessons when the time was right.

After a bit of waiting, I could hear the pounding of the drums and my excitement grew. The parade was lead by police officers on motorcycles and a large marching band. Then, there were many children from schools all around San Miguel. They were wearing gym clothes and would pause to show the crowd how they can hoolahoop, or jump rope, or dive through each other's legs or do karate chops. In between these schools were children dressed in traditional Mexican garb and carried wooden rifles. And in between all of these children was an old black street dog that just did not seem to understand why he had to move out of the road. He would sit in the road and let the kids march around him. The crowd would giggle and try to get him out of the way but he just seemed happy to be involved.

When the time came, I left the festivities to get to class. I am almost finished with all the levels at this school and my last day is the day before Thanksgiving. It was now time for lunch so I headed back to the library where they have a nice little restaurant. I sipped chai tea in the cold weather and did some homework. Next, I went to go see the premiere of a documentary on the history of Mexico. It was a full house and the movie was informative but painful to learn about the rough history.

Afterwards, I met up with Ronnie and our two new friends that just moved here from California as well. We ate crepes and laughed a lot about our shared experiences.

It was a full day for me but one of those days where I just felt good through and through. The crispness of the autumn air, the celebrations and the smiles on kid's made-up faces and the warmth that I felt from this little town that has been our home for the past five months.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

The crowd waitingThe crowd waiting
The crowd waiting

for the parade to start
Ninos playing VolleyballNinos playing Volleyball
Ninos playing Volleyball

...and that street dog....


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb