Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Chihuahua
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Chihuahua
Latest Blogs from Chihuahua
- June 17th 2012 There Be Gold...
by Words: 436 Photos: 9
- December 19th 2010 Border Tales
by Words: 1997 Photos: 27
- November 28th 2010 Through the badlands of....
by Words: 1368 Photos: 19
- October 28th 2010 El Chepe - Barrancas del Cobre
by Words: 287 Photos: 0
- October 27th 2010 1st mexican post
by Words: 509 Photos: 0
- June 23rd 2009 Not So Native Part Uno
by Words: 1323 Photos: 13
- September 14th 2008 Mexico accepts the Reynolds
by Words: 314 Photos: 5
- June 15th 2008 Bom Chici Chihuahua!
by Words: 2373 Photos: 0
- June 15th 2008 Lalarge´s first week ... phew!!
by Words: 1563 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2008 Where are the Chihuahuas?
by Words: 569 Photos: 7
- August 25th 2007 Chihuahua
by Words: 122 Photos: 0