San Pedro to San Cristobal


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Antigua on Thursday morning and headed for our final destination in Guatemala, San Pedro which sits on Lake Atitlan. This was not the greatest destination for me as I spent the entire time feeling rather ropey and unable to eat much let alone drink. Blooming livid, the drinks were dirt cheap and you got a free shot with everything bought in happy hour which was actually happy 8 hours as it went on from 4pm-12pm. Not sure the Guatemalans have quite got the hang of this happy hour business, they seem to run them all day. Bargain for us though or in this case Will and Oli who like top lads took full advantage! I on the other hand struggled through a couple of beers before feeling like I had a small person punching me on the inside of my stomach. I am going to lay the blame on the malaria pills, they have giving me and Will a bit of a stomach pounding and we have all been having crazy dreams! Seem to be over it now and back to normal, hopeully!



Anyway back to San Pedro, it was a nice little town but did not have much to offer so we basically just spent the whole time relaxing, or in my case being ill. The boys had a few drinks the first night and we were planning on going out on the lake in some kayaks on friday however I was feeling dodgy and they were not too good themselves so we basically just lounged by the pool. This was the theme pretty much for the whole time we were there, we met a couple of girls from Austrailia who were a laugh so spent some time hanging around with them, mainly whooping thier butts at cards. Nothing else really to report on the San Pedro front, we left at 5am Sunday morning cathing the boat across the lake to Panachel before getting the shuttle to San Cristobal 8 hours away in Mexico!





We arrived in San Cristobal late Sunday afternoon and as you can imagine we were pretty knackered and rather hungary. We walked into the city to grab some food and stopped at a nice little Taco stand, but with Will being the impatient bugger that he is a 10 minute wait was too much for his starved little belly so we departed in search for a quicker establishment. As we walked down the main street Oli mentioned that should a Burger King suddenly appear bad things could happen. Low and behold as he finished his sentence and I looked up one appeared out the corner of my eye. According to Oli it was a signal from above therefore we made an informed decision that it was the place for us. We wandered in and ordered our food in the international language of point at the menu and saying yes when asked a question and I managed to bag myself a king chicken with blue cheese, chips and a drink for 2.50. Bargain! Not sure the Mexican BK quite understands the terms fast food however. You order it and then stand behind another counter and wait for about 20 minutes whilst it is prepared, so in the end we would have been better off staying at the Taco stand. Saying that it was deffinatley worth the wait and a decent way to end he day. I can now proudly say I have sampled both Mcdonalds and Burger King in central america and both are doing well.



We spent Monday wandering around the city visiting a few of its sites including the cathedral and a few churches as well as a viewing point looking down across the city. We also managed to add in a spot of retail therapy with us all being lured in by some hand printed T-shirts. This place is manic, people everywhere, markets all over the place and everything being sold on the side of the street, del boy and rodney would have a field day. It is Tuesday now and we are catching a bus to Mexico city at 8pm tonight and will arrive around 14 hours later. We have spent pretty much the whole morning playing table tennis, I have been in devastating form only losing about 2 games much to the displeasure of the other two! We fly out of Mexico city on sunday to LA for two days and then onto Fiji. I will try update before we leave for Fiji, think the internet may be hard to come by on the islands we are going to.



Much Love

Alex

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb