High in the hills.


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » San Cristobal de las Casas
September 25th 2011
Published: September 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arrived late at night, high in the hills of San Cristobal. Could not be dealing with big hairy spiders another night.
San Cristobal is a small colonial town, where lots of the locals all wear their traditional outfits (they are really cute...helps that they are all really midget like too).
Decided it would be a good idea to go for a horse ride in the hills. We went to some small village just out of the center, and jumped on a horse and went for a ride.
A group was just coming in as i was to do my tour, so i used one of their horses... poor thing was grunting away all tired and sad. Thought it might collapse or something, but with a crack of the whip (not by me) the horse got second wind and off we went.
The ride was a bit average to be honest, but the views of the hills and little villages were nice. My butts a little sore now tho.. as you could imagine they don't have state of the art saddles.
Today i headed off on a tour an hour out of the city to Tuxtla Gutierrez to check out Sumidero Canyon.
We went through the canyon on a small speed boat, which was great as i have sore legs from traipsing up and down the ruins, and a sore butt from the horse riding. So was great to sit down and let someone else do all the work.
The Canyon was massive, big cliff faces towering over the river. Spotted some crocodiles hanging out on the waters edge, so if the polluted river didn't put you off swimming, the crocs sure did.
At one point, which was really mind blowing, we turned a corner and the river was completely covered in rubbish. It looked like you could walk across it, it was that thick. Apparently all the waste from the villages all along the river gets dumped there from the rain or something. And they can't seem to clean it up fast enough. It is estimated that about 5000 tons of trash accumulate each year, and the river is considered to be one of the five most polluted in Mexico. 3700 tons of solids were extracted from the canyon area in 2010 alone... (Thanks wiki)
Then we turn the corner... and its gone again.
Other then the rubbish, the canyon was really beautiful, and was great to take the boat ride look up rather then walking it looking down through the canyon (my legs needed a break).




Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th September 2011

hey, looks like an amazing trip!!! you are really making me get itchy feet, your travels look like sooo much fun!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb