rested in san cristobal...


Advertisement
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hola amors. jim and i are on our 6th and final day in san cristobal. wow....that is a long time for us to be in one place! the city is easy to get comfortable in....cute, clean, colorful, colonial, beautiful churches. plus lots of good, cheap food options. plus, plus...our hotel room was very comfortable, complete with a hot water shower with good water pressure 😊

we were able to enjoy the celebration of dia de los muertos (day of the dead) here. during the celebrations, which last from november 1st thru the 3rd, mexicans honor those that have passed away...relatives and other loved ones. colorful, candle lit altars are set up in homes and businesses, upon which offerings of food and drink, made to the deceased, are placed.

november 2 is when folks gather at the grave sites of friends and relatives, to rather festivaly share food and drink. we were fortunate enough to experience the celebration at the cemetary of a nearby indigenous village. we went on a tour to visit two of the villages surrounding san cristobal. we began our visit of the first village, in their cemetary, where folks were gathered to celebrate with the spirits of those who have passed on. graves were covered in pieces of pine and colorful petals...family members were seated on the graves of their loved ones and coca cola and posh were being passed around.

we did not have time to visit the cemetary in san cristobal city to witness how the mestizo´s (those with an ancestory of european & indian mix) celebrate....the mestizo celebration is said to be different than that of the indigenous folks.

today we are hanging out, waiting for our 10PM bus which will take us to tehuantepec. it was our plan to go to oaxaca city from here but with the current situation, it is safest to skip it for now. after tehuantepec, we may work our way north by going along the pacific coast. it will be nice to get back into a warmer climate...san cristobal is a bit nippy.

hope that you are all doing well and staying warm.
sending lots of love and hugs,
me

happy birthday linda! hope you are enjoying your time in chile. xo




Advertisement



5th November 2006

Hey girl
Just wanted to say hi and tell you I'm still enjoying reading about your travels. The celebration of those passes sounds like a nice event - wish we had that here. :) Take care

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb