Palenque, Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » El Panchan
July 21st 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Guat


We continued onto El Panchan, a crunchy, ecotourism hot spot next to the Palenque ruins. We stayed in our own little cabaña called Coco. Sooo we were at the Coco, Coco Cabaña. We saw lizards, chickens, turkeys and Trev almost had his finger bitten off by a spiny pig. Pretty intense. We also met people from around the world, including two Dutch dudes cycling across Central America. They had the brilliant idea of ordering a bottle of tequila for the five of us. Note to selves: If you agree to share a bottle of tequila, you're nooot gonna have a good time.

The next day, we woke long after the jungle animals around us and had a later than expected start to see the Mayan ruins at Palenque National Park. I think my español skills are really bouncing back - I got in my first fight or strongly-worded conversation in Spanish! The ticket lady refused to take our crumpled dollars and preferred them brand new and nicely ironed. I argued with her about their value and then said we didn't need to go - she then prompty changed her mind.

The ruins were flippin sweet, as were the inscriptions and sculptures from back in the day (in the year 675 on a Tuesday) and we hiked through jungle paths and across rope bridges over crystal-blue pools. The no swimming rule was the worst, since we decided it was 140 degrees and 100% humidity.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Liz layin down some crunchy groovesLiz layin down some crunchy grooves
Liz layin down some crunchy grooves

Actually she is teaching a Mexican how to play guitar
Our Next ChariotOur Next Chariot
Our Next Chariot

A little crowded...Most likely the most uncomfortable 3.5 hour ride on a dirt road we have ever had.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb