Beach blanket bingo


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California Sur » Loreto
February 10th 2008
Published: February 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

continued
Jan 30
The last few days have really fused into one. Although intermittently windy, this place has been sheer magic. We've been just doing beach stuff-collecting shells, out in the boat, snorkling, reading, writing, taking pictures-just "being" in a wonderful spot. Sam and I have slept in the tent since we got here-the sky and stars have been so vivid, and close-like you could reach out and touch them. The weather has undulated from windy, calm,windy and warm, windy and cold..evenings you have to wear a jacket. Last night the wind blew so much, if I didn't have Sam as an anchor we would have been like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz!

We checked out Muleje and what a beautiful oasis-when you descend into the valley, all of a sudden it gets emerald gren and lush. It sits at the base of a river-beautiful little Mexican town, with the typical tourist action but not so in your face. We enjoyed our first non fish taco for a while, and had burgers and fries at a gringo owned restaurant, and was it ever good, explored a bit and moved on. We'll stay in Mulehe for a night to get laundry done, email and really do the town justice.

Its fun at the beach. People come to you with all kinds of goodies. In the mornings a guy with a ridiculous horn blows his way through at around 7:30 with water, then comes the chicken tamales wrapped up in corn husks, sometimes baked goods, pizza, vegetable trucks, various salesmen with blankets, jewellery, shrimp, scallops,oranges-I look forward everytime to see what the surprise is.

We took the boat out yesterday to check out a restaurant 3 beaches away and the kids went snorkelling-a calm aquamarine day, then beach fire, and cooked scallops that we bought that morning. We spent the night in the tent again star gazing, sandy, dirty-who needs a shower anyway?

Feb 1

As difficult as it was, we had to move off of the beach and into Muleje for a night to refuell, shower and power up. we arrived at Santa Maria RV park which was situated right beside the river, walking distance to the little town centre(pop 3000) We walked into town to do some exploring-went to the prison museum that was an "open" prison until 1985. Open meant that the inmates left the prison in the morning to go to work, and came back in the evening. They had to supply most of their own food. The museum was interesting-no frills, showed examples of early mexican technology-a very old typewriter, a variety of dried animal and bird carcasses(unidentifiable), fossils, descriptions of early inhabitants and cave paintings, cells whre prisoners slept and what they slept on, spanish graffiti, old homemade ranchers gear including a dried bull scrotum that was used to carry I don't know what. It was a worthwhile endeavour and a local landmark.

We sat in the city centr eating homemade ice cream in styrophone cups with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. We bought a mexican jacket for Jaime and Sam and I tried to sort out the grocery thing. I don't know what people eat except tacos. There are several little grocery stores, only one that had carne, but the meat was hidden. I didn't have the energy to negotiate my way through the meat selection in spanish and decided to try again tomorrow. I've been trying to speak spanish when I can, and have been feeling more confident. It is a must to have a mini spanish dictionary with you at all times-it is much appreciated and necessary in these small towns.

Today was a big day as well because Sam now has surpassed Joe in height!-happened just in the last couple of weeks.

The weather continues to suck-very atypical for the area, but what the heck-we're on holidays!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb