Excursion to Quebec City and VIA Rail Canada in First class


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
September 26th 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Quebec CityQuebec CityQuebec City

The main gate to the old town.
I'm back in Montreal after a two days excursion to Quebec City which is three hours by train from Montreal. Unfortunately the excursion didn't turn out to be as nice as I had hoped for. There was nothing wrong with Quebec City, quite the opposite actually, it's one of the nicest, oldest and cosiest cities in North America, the problem was the weather which was cold (only 6-8 degrees), windy, grey and rainy.
And as if that wasn't enough, the evening before I left Montreal I felt I was about to get a cold, which I also got the following day, and cold and windy weather is definitely not optimal if you have a cold (as was indeed the case in Quebec City).

Anyway, Quebec City was nice enough and I did spent some time walking around the old town taking photos which I have uploaded. It's one of the oldest cities in North America founded in the beginning of the 17th century and there are still buildings (churches in particular) from that period. 17th century, that's pretty old to be North America!!

I had booked a room at Best Western Centre Ville in Quebec City, a three star
Quebec CityQuebec CityQuebec City

The most famous building in Quebec City, Chateau Frontenac, which is actually a hotel nowadays.
hotel, nothing remarkable, but the staff were very friendly and the room perfectly fine.
It was so nice to have my own room, my own TV, and my own bathroom for the first time in a week. The room was actually just as large as the dorm I had just shared with five other people in Montreal. And just being able to take a bath...wonderful!!
The hotel also had a pretty nice health club with a swimming pool and jacuzzi and a small gym (but the latter I refrained from using due to my health).

On my way home I also decided to try the First class service offered by VIA Rail Canada. The ticket was surprisingly affordable as they offer student discounts on all tickets (and my ISIC card is conveniently valid until the end of the year).
At the railway station they have a lounge where you can wait until it's time to board the train. There is coffee, soft drinks and newspapers available. When it's time for boarding a member of staff comes to collect all first class passengers so they can board ahead of all other passengers (travelling by train in Canada is similar to
Quebec CityQuebec CityQuebec City

Parts of Quebec City seen from La Citadelle (an old fortress built to protect the city from a potential American invasion).
air travel, so there is a boarding announcement for example).
Once onboard they offered a three courses meal and free drinks (incl wine and spirits) at the seat, plus hot towels and chocolates. A pretty decent train experience and both the food and the service onboard were excellent.

In a few hours I'm off to New York (and the wonderful US immigration...)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Quebec CityQuebec City
Quebec City

One of the many nice squares in the old town.
Quebec CityQuebec City
Quebec City

The old port and "la basse ville" (the lower town).
Quebec CityQuebec City
Quebec City

St Lawrence river and the large ship Queen Elisabeth II which usually cruises across the Atlantic.
Quebec CityQuebec City
Quebec City

The relax department in the hotel, a very nice change after having stayed in hostels for a week.
Quebec CityQuebec City
Quebec City

The pretty cool railway station in Quebec City.
Quebec City-Montreal in first classQuebec City-Montreal in first class
Quebec City-Montreal in first class

Inside the Panorama lounge at Quebec City railway station. Nothing remarkable, but nice to have a cup of coffee while waiting for the train.
Quebec City-Montreal in first classQuebec City-Montreal in first class
Quebec City-Montreal in first class

Onboard the train in the first class carriage.
Quebec City-Montreal in first classQuebec City-Montreal in first class
Quebec City-Montreal in first class

The menu for the evening service Quebec City-Montreal, I had the pork for the main course.
Quebec City-Montreal in first classQuebec City-Montreal in first class
Quebec City-Montreal in first class

View from the train, autumn in Canada.
Quebec City-Montreal in first classQuebec City-Montreal in first class
Quebec City-Montreal in first class

Approaching Montreal late at night.


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb