Dee of Green Gables!


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=wBd_tz2z4wk][youtube=D_XLvvjeyyM]It's a rainy miserable day but we're still heading off to visit Anne of Green Gables in Cavendish which is about a 40 min drive from downtown Charlottetown. This has always been a dream of mine to visit the quaint house that inspired many of Lucy Maud Montgomery's much beloved novlels like Anne of Green Gables. It was the first time I drove in pouring rain in my Kia Soul but it has essential things that make you feel safe like good windshield wipers and traction there were no worries at all! We arrived in Cavendish and pulled into the visitors parking lot. There were tonnes of tourists many of which were from Asian countries because over there it is part of their curriculum. They study L.M's books and read Anne of Green Gables as part of their studies. Many Asian couples even get married there. Inside the house each room was decorated as described in the Anne of Green Gables book....everything from the raspberry cordial on the shelf (no current wine because Diana Barry drank it all lol) to the broken slate in Anne's room (te one she hit Gilbert with). The 1800 style home was outfitted with authentic 1800 pieces from familes in the Cavendish area that donated the antiques. The gift shop was PACKED but I managed to buy some fun souvenirs like an Anne Hat with two red braids attached to it. While my friend Jenn was inside the home by the kitchen I snuck out, put the hat on and peeked in through the window! haha the tour guide shouted out to the people in the house "look what that girl is doing!" they were all laughing and taking photos of me! haha Yup I'm a geek! Jen and I then went for a stroll behind the house where there are lovely paths. If it wasn't raining they do carriage rides. There was a cute bridge and the trees were so lovely. There are quotes from Lucy Maud on the trail one of which talks about how stressed out she was until she took a walk on the paths and felt better (although she put it in a more poetic way(there's a photo of it just check it out here under photos duh lol). It was SOOOO rainy we were SOAKED but it was an amazing experience one that I will never forget! Definitely a dream come true! Tomorrow we head for Peggy's Cove -a small rural community located on the eastern shore of St. Margarets Bay in Nova Scotia's Halifax Regional Municipality. The best thing about it.....COOL LIGHTHOUSE!!!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



9th September 2011
Wicked Fries!

Glad we could serve you, and hope your venture was a success
Dee,so nice to see the pictures you have posted of Wicked Fries. I've got to say keeping up with the health regulations, that silly hait net doesn't do much for the hair. Haha Hope you had a wondeful time travelling around and doing your passion. We will be closing our business for the season on the end of September and re-opening in May 2012. Hope to see you again

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb