Working out the kinks!!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
November 21st 2010
Published: November 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

This Grail Springs is certainly a place of mindful activities. As Gail and I do not fit in with the "spa" mentality or physicality, we decided to have some fun shaking up the other patrons a little. Everyday we pick a different table to sit at for our meals. When people come in expecting to sit at the same table meal after meal, day after day, you can see the looks of confusion and a bit of discomfort. We are bad, aren't we??

This place is a mecca for people from Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal who are in high powered jobs and are looking for a reprieve...although I don't know how much of a retreat or reprieve one can have carrying around a Blackberry. We have not had the TV on or read a newspaper since arriving. It almost feels like too much work to work on the blog. On the other hand, I feel compelled to talk about our experiences.

Yesterday, we had a lovely lady sit with us. The question inevitably gets around to what everyone does in their life back in the real world. This lady announced to us that she "runs" a major Canadian media corporation. Hmmm....very impressive and very powerful. Gail wanted to ask her how she was able to do this all by herself. Every time we mentioned the author of a book, a TV or radio personality, she would comment about some personal experience she had had with the person. It was quite entertaining. Gail and I then decided we would have to come up with some better "occupations". Gail decided that, if asked, she would tell people that she was on the Board of Directors for a small oil company in Michigan. That is a bit of a stretch but plausible. She had a chance to share this this morning...fortunately, it was before I got to the table because I could not have kept a straight face. She says the reaction was very positive and that we are more "credible" now. I am working on my own CV.

It has been an experience trying new foods, really quite amazing. We have had some wonderful things...quinoa pancakes, chocolate torte, non-dairy Caesar salad, taco salad, oatmeal cookies, granola. All the food is organic and healthy!! We were delighted to have real toast this morning with our frittata. It was brown rice bread that made great toast. Although pricey, I can see myself visiting the health food store more often to get organic foods and actually trying some of the recipes out at home. Most are really quite simple. There have been several people who are juicing or detoxing but we didn't think we were ready for that....just yet anyways.

We have had several spa treatments now. My favourites include the Moor Mud Steam Bath followed by a Vichy Rain Shower and the Seaweed Scrub. Of course, the massages are wonderful and I am having a hot stone massage today. And I did have a great pedicure with the newest staff member who is still in school but quite experienced. I have also take some personal instruction in mediation, which I hope I can use as a tool when I get home. There is no doubt there is benefit to meditation while we are quite skeptical about some of the other treatment modalities such as Chakra healing and crystals. We did a little research about the ion food detox/cleanse and it seems it is just a chemical reaction between the electrodes in the machine they use and the amount of salt they add to the foot bath.

It seems that everyone here is enthralled with the "nature". I think that with living in the Sault, we get our fill of "nature". It does not surprise us to see and hear ducks, loons and other water fowl. It is a very nice piece of the country but we don't think we will travel 9 hours to experience it again. Besides with the open, wood burning fireplace, Gail wouldn't be able to breathe. We are just starting to have fun getting into some mischief and this is good medicine for both of us no matter where we go. We all just take ourselves far too seriously. Life is to be enjoyed!! And laughter is to be shared!!

What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul.
~Yiddish Proverb~



A very friendly, very bright young lady. Asha, agreed to let me download the pics she has taken for posting here. Photography is one of her hobbies and she has scoured the whole property looking for good shots. There is a full moon tonight and she will take some night pictures so hope you will check back in to see those.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st November 2010

Oh how beautifull
Where will it lead us is awesome it is Sue leading all the butterflies thru that door .......thank you my friend ...for taking us with you on this awesome journey ...We love you and Gail so very much ...Hugs Marty
22nd November 2010
Where will it lead us??

Where will it lead us??
It looks to be very sunny approaching the door, the butterfly's have gone too Mexico, your not going there, so seen as it is winter and that image cannot be true, I think your on your way to the tanning beds?
22nd November 2010
Sue was here

Sue was here
I see you in the reflection
22nd November 2010
and balls

and balls
I like those balls!!!

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb